Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
steering wheel push button does what? - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

steering wheel push button does what?

Guest teigan

Question

my stock steering wheel has a push button control not wired to anything. what was lotus thinking, and what should i wire it to?

Edited by teigan

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

23 answers to this question

where is it? mine doesn't have a stock steering wheel, I'm curious.

horn?

better than the end of the turn stalk

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

the button is dead center with a black/gold lotus badge encased in plastic. i was thinking of having double access to the warning horn, but that would just encourage me to be obnoxious with it.

It's the horn, of course - watch 'THE SPY WHO LOVED ME' carefully. I mean, if Roger Moore used that button to scare the big truck coming towards him...then it has to be the real thing!

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

my car has a similar nonfunctional "button" despite having an aftermarket steering wheel

my guess: lotus needed to plug the middle of the steeringwheel and it was cheaper than engineering a nonfunctional non-button :P

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

has always been non-functioning. Roger did push the button, but the sound effects were added afterwards...i read somewhere. would indeed be useful to wire up properly as to avoid frantically indicating a left turn or putting on the window wipers during a brown trouser moment

there is nothing ergonomic about locating the horn button on a stalk. if there were justice, the steering wheel button would give the guys at lotus a mild electrical shock.

I wish it was the horn because last year I pulled up behind a vectra, with a large shelf on the back,at a T junction who then decided to reverse back and park.He actually looked over his shoulder and straight over my roof not seeing me,in the split second to react I couldnt remember what to hit and............TOO LATE!!!!!! The only good thing about the damage was that he was a car body repairer and I got a fully refurbished front end in a couple of days!!! I actually did feel a bit sorry for him.

Moral of the story......always pull up at least 10 meters behind any car in an Esprit unless its a GT40!!!

Paul 84T

it's almost as bad when you reach for the horn in any other (GM made, usually) car, and reallize you engaged the cruise control ;)

slade

:o  :P  :mellow:  :P 

CANT BELIEVE YOU GUYS HAVE NOT USED YOUR EJECTOR SEAT

BUTTON YET! HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD YOUR CARS :P  <_<  ;)  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've spent the past few days checking every inch of my car for the ejector seat - it doesn't have one. In fact, I strongly suspect that NO ESPRITS have one and that you were pulling my leg.

My centre button controls an oil slick that shoots out from pipes hidden behind the rear number plate (one push); forward facing surface-to-surface missiles (two pushes) and dumps 10,000 pointy-things to deflate the tyres of chasing cars (three pushes).

Submarine conversion is, of course, automatic on total submersion in salt water - I believe this is standard on all cars.

Ian

My centre button controls an oil slick that shoots out from pipes hidden behind the rear number plate...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine has a smoke screen to evade the Enemy - The Fun Police with their flashing blue lights. (Oil drips from the cam towers onto the exhaust). Damn thing's automatic though - Doesn't have an 'OFF' switch... Will work on that. Oil slicks are auto as well - seems to leave them wherever it goes.

Lucky you don't have the ejector seat option - those little bits of shattered glass from the roof is a right pain to clean up afterwards...

Strangely enough,

I have a big square horn button.

post-170-1130337239.jpg

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de