Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
High idle & "wheee" noise - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

High idle & "wheee" noise

Spiggsy

I'm getting a high and sometimes rough idle ... I've noticed "a few" times that I can hear a "whee" noise when accelerating.

I'm thinking vacuum leak from a bad hose ... thought I'd check for a second opinion first though ..

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiggsy

I also get a whee,.... noise under accelaration but thats the turbo working, I suppose we are talking diffrent noise all together.

If you have a vacume leak only a freescan will tell you since its should be always there.

However the leak could be around the turbo pipe, exhaust manifold, where freescan will not pick up.

To start with try the recording the log if you can.

Freescan is available on this forum and how to go about it ...

So I got CEL# 22 and CEL#24 ... going to check into replacing the TPS as I think it will be an easy enough job to do first.

Only thing ... all the info I read recommends setting with Freescan ... not having this, and knowing that the last few things I have had mailed from the UK took some 4 weeks to arrive ... is it possible to configure without freescan ?

I seem to recall that when I fitted a new one on my SE, I fitted it in about the same position as the old one and there was very little adjustment to do. The voltage output was ok on the idle end, but I needed to tweak the TPS mounting position to get a 100% TP value at full accelerator pedal travel. Of course, others might have a different story to tell.

On the other hand, Freescan might tell you if you're wasting your money or not on a new TPS. If the old TPS is putting out the right voltages and percentage throttle values throughout the full range, then it is probably ok. And, of course, you can try repositioning it, if it isn't putting out the right values.

I assume you've already checked the mounting screws to see if they are tight.. and that you've cleaned the connector plug with a suitable electrical cleaning spray?

Note that the ignition must be on (but engine not started) during calibration.

Cheers.

Ian R>