Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Silly Battery question - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Silly Battery question

Will any top post 12volt car battery work short term in an '01 Esprit? I need to move my car and have a verified dead battery. Can't get a battery from dealer until Monday. Have a 12v top-post in both my '95 T-100 p-u and '93 Ford Aerostar..... is there a safety concern? Did a google search and had no real luck after 15 minutes of worthless pages. Thanks in advance....

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

all i can say: if you want to go fast around corners you have to tighten the battery. That means the dimensions should match up the base-space in the battery area. The capacity that i use is now 60Ah. It's enough for our starter systems, as long as ground connections to the engine are in good condition and the starter is in good shape... .

PS. my battery is an 'open gas' type with old style acid ports. Its cheaper than high-technology jelly type battery, but you need an plastic bag to cover it (in case of any acid drops out...)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I believe the correct size is group 64N or something. I just use an Everstart Maxx from Wal-mart. I've gotten several free replacements for it too, since the Lotus eats batteries (until I rebuilt the alternator).

The Esprit really just needs high cranking amps like 600+, and the top posts. You can use a smaller battery since the Esprit has a pretty generic hold-down strap.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

as far as i can say: the starter is in the right dimension, it's same size as in my 2.5 Diesel engine. And we know that an starter has a lot to do wile it is cranking such an engine. But main problem in my eyes is, that the heat in the position it is mounted to the 918 engine stresses the insulations and the steady water/condensation of water between the cylinder banks let its carbon brush plate rust away. Both points together are responsible for bad contact and high cranking amps, together with an light steady amp flow (if some of the brush wires get in unwanted contact with the block..)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..