Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
MB Quart upgrade? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

MB Quart upgrade?

Hi,

I have an 88 Esprit turbo with the 3-way MB Quart set-up. Does anybody know the model number and specs. on these three speakers? I am somwhat of an audiophile and want to bi-amp the speakers, but don't want to overdrive them. I am thinking of putting in 8" in place of the 6.5". Any recommends or input would be appreciated to plan my upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The standard rear speakers are 13cm ones. The problem is, the enclosure they run in is not ideal. As they sit in the firewall, you will struggle to put anything bigger in.

I toyed with the idea of getting some undamped enclosed air speakers, as they would possibly run slightly better than damped ones. But in the end I didn't bother.

Pioneer do some nice TS1300 speakers with seperare tweeters and crossovers in seperate modules that give rather a nice sound.

However, if you are simply looking for some bass you are far better off going for a seperate 'flat' bass module somewhere. There are various people on the forums who have managed to fit bass boxes in various places.

I think this is a simpler option than meddling with the existing ones.

One thing I like the look of (but never would do myself) is to fit a big bass speaker inbetween the seats on the back firewall, like they did on the 'new' Ford GT40. Google image search, and you'll see what I mean.

Another option, a bit trickier (I know, having done it) is to fit later style doors, which have the speaker enclosures in them.

As long as you dynomat the door card and the inside of the door skin, you could fit some nice speakers in there, and get a good air volume for them to work in.

OK, I'm ready to be shot down, in my lounge room I have a Marantz system, and Lowther speakers, sounds great, last year I built a sub woofer, because I play DVD movies through it as well, hit the deck when the artillery starts up!

So if I want to listen to music I sit in my lounge room, if I want to drive a fast car I have a Lotus, the 2 don't mix, true I have a CD player in it and I like to listen to Music, but I like to know what's going on around me and not drown out audible warnings, (the horn of the following truck trying to tell you he can't stop) A car will always be a compromise, it's never going to sound like the Albert Hall, accept it, save your money.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

i must say that i replaced the spaeker in the das and i was getting around to the rears, but most of the time i listen to the engine and not the cd player, also as mentioned in a space like the esprit you will struggle for great sound quality. mine does sound better, but thats because the speakers in there were 14 years old

It's Oogies turn to boogie