Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cylinder Liners - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Cylinder Liners

Gutted Just been on the phone to the guy who's doing my engine rebuild and my number 1 liner is shot!!! from heat apparently, the top of it is burnt away causing the hgf symptoms... I'm so gutted!!

Does anyone have a spare line for an 88 turbo or know where to get hold of one without selling my lungs?

Mark :beer:

Edited by mwmackenzie

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably rubbish because I'm the other side of the world, I have a link to a place called lotusbits,com, they look cheap, SJ doesn't seem too bad.

That's bad luck, hope it's not too long before you enjoy it again

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I think you can only buy a piston an liner as a pair from Lotus. It's the nikasil that flakes off them. I had the same problem with mine several years ago.

you may be able to find some aftermarket liners instead of the Lotus ones. Cast liners would be better. Next time I do an engine rebuild, I'm going to go for cast ones.

Speak to Gary Kemp at Kemp Developments. he may be able to help you out, as he does a lot of Esprit engine building.

If you look though the 'for sale' list on the LEW site, he's got some items on there so you'll be able to get his number.

Thanks Glynn, yeah Garry was my first thought as I bought my cylinder head and crank along with various other engine parts off him for the original build.. I have been offered a set of new iron likers from Mike Taylor at Lotusbits and he has been very helpful with great prices and fantastic information and tips I can ger reconditioned nicosil liners or the cast ones but am now trying to work out the advantages/disadvantages to each... Any thoughts???

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

there is a set of brand new HC pistons on the LER list (see for sale section), are listed at ....220 for the set!

• HC Turbo Pistons, new, unused genuine Mahle, grade A, set of 4. Only one set at a very special price of

Edited by ghe67

Hi Giorgio,

I don't want to replace my pistons as they have been ballance as have the con rods and my piston tops have been alluminium carbide coated to reduce heat transfer to the bottom end if I were to use higher boost levels.. Thanks for the info on where to buy though :beer:

Anyone got any oppinions on which to buy nicosil or cast iron??

Cheers

Mark

If you keep to pistons that were designed to run with ali liners, then the cast replacements need to be made to a bigger bore than the ali ones. The expansion coefficient of ali is higher so the pistons would become nipped by cast liners when hot if they dad the original bore diameter.

My 2p is go for Ali ones.

Thanks Andy great info!! I was told that with new pistons best get the nicosil but with old pistons it doesn't matter, I don't know why this is though??? anyone?

Mark

Thanks Glynn, yeah Garry was my first thought as I bought my cylinder head and crank along with various other engine parts off him for the original build.. I have been offered a set of new iron likers from Mike Taylor at Lotusbits and he has been very helpful with great prices and fantastic information and tips I can ger reconditioned nicosil liners or the cast ones but am now trying to work out the advantages/disadvantages to each... Any thoughts???

Cheers

Mark

Mark

When Garry made my new 2.6l he recommended steel liners, as they are more durable, especially with turbo engines

It wont't hurt to give him a ring

Tel.: 01964-532222

Mind if I cut in ?