Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup

I'm so excited about this project that I had to start a thread before the project starts! I will be putting a new, custom chargecooler setup into Aerobat's 2002 V8. I'm not 100% sure exactly all the parts yet, but the idea is to have the chargecoolers visible within the rear boot. It will be incredibly beautiful though! I'll also be upgrading his radiator and cooling fans and adding an oil catch can setup as well as installing an LSD. Keep you're eyes on this thread for details as to what's happening!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... two happy boys.....

B)

• 2 weeks later...

YAY!!! I got the two intercoolers in today! I also have some more parcels to pick up as well.. probably the AN fittings and the pumps. I test fit the intercooler into the back of the V8 this afternoon and it's a near perfect fit. I will post pictures of the parts tonight when I get home.

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Here's the pics of the chargecoolers:

DSCF1501.jpg

DSCF1500.jpg

• Gold FFM

crazy man, looks like two 'water cooled' catalyst :sick: - I like that ! :rofl:

Any advice in what's the fabrication name/ product number of it ? That *PWR* badge said nothing to me...

:scared:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Hi Gunter! Well.. once I have everything figured out and installed in Johns V8... I want to sell this as a kit. I expect the price to be significantly less than any other chargecooler kit available out there right now.

• Gold FFM

hey, sounds good. especially as an rounded shape is more effective in type of outside square surface (sheet of metal needed for the housing) vs. inside volume !?

I mean those mathematical/geometrical rules in which an equal length rectangular square is more effective in an limited 'flow space', and only an circular shape can top that with the same amount of metal for the outside (if someone plans to build them in DIY..)

Any thoughts in what number of restrictions for the airflow we can expect ?

Gunter:

I agree with your idea! The reason I want to use the barrels is that the typical intercoolers that the aftermarket are supplying are very restrictive to air flow with the 90 degree bend into the core and then the other 90 degree bend out of the core... I would rather use mandrel bends to get to the intercooler and have slightly more piping than have that much air resistance caused by the intercooler.

As for the pressure drop.. it's 1.1psi at 7psi boost.

Paul:

I haven't decided how i'm going to do the radiator yet... but I'm either going to use the other half of the v8 a/c condenser for the chargecooler or an S4 combo-unit, or possibly the rad from LPPC. John doesn't really care about A/C that much (he likes hot weather) so I may just use the other half of the a/c condenser.

Ahhh - the interest is building.... !

The chargecoolers are going to sit in the boot - outside of the engine bay, fitting exactly where the curve in the boot compartment bends into the engine bay. We'll keep them polished, and use red hoses to match the intake plenum red, and contrast with the charcoal carpet in the boot. We'll also be using twin HKS SSQ blow off valves. The electric water pumps are huge, I'm told. We'll also be fitting a new 3-core rad, with upgraded fans.

Next year will be upgraded turbos and a new chip.

Well, I've now received the water pumps... so I thought I'd post pics of them next to the chargecooler:

DSCF1503.jpg

Does that mean you want us to plan you a little Canadian vacation?

:lol:

Guy's

Looks really good, I have been looking at the same units and am currently looking at how to fit and route the pipework, cant make my mind up between aluminium fabrication or silicon pipework.

My intention was to use the space between the boot and the engine to fit the chargecoolers in.

Which size units did you opt for?

Nellie :lol:

Edited by Nellie

• Gold FFM

Isn't there an 'hot zone' between engine an boot area, without any additional fans !? I mean how effective can the whole arrangement be if its outside is heated up from the engine area... ?? It's often talked about heat insulation and covered manifolds in here, so i think the charge-coolers should be positioned in the heat protected rear boot ( isn't the trunk section originally covered with aluminum foil underneath !?)

Nellie, I am using the smallest intercoolers available.. and, unfortunately without purchasing/building a different boot, you'll never fit the intercoolers in the enginebay. Gunter is right.. putting the intercoolers in the boot should be more effective as it's surprisingly cool back there when the engine is running. Now, the reasons I'm doing them in the boot is for the insulation factor and because I plan to make it appear very attractive.

• Gold FFM

It's attractive, for sure - as long as no water is leakin on your smoking in the boot... :lol:

keep us posted!

We will have to see what kind of room i get this time, if its a double queen size room, i may be able to put someone up for free :dizzy:

Edited by Dodgy

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

never thought id see a timeshare hotel bed in tropical medicine hat alberta an idea that is being considered

all guest receive a free 8x10 print of LEF model thumper when they visit for three days or more

some restrictions apply/ while supplies last

Gary: :dizzy:

Russ: We're not sure of the power increase... I expect to hit 500hp at the crank with the 450hp chip.... but the biggest improvement is going to be drivability and reliability

hope you don't mind me butting in but i'm in the process of this as well on mine. The bits that are proving hard are the intake castings from the turbo and the original plenum into the engine, Have you chosen a route for this yet??

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160