Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup - Page 8 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much!! :devil:

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Hi Mark,

I looks very very good. There is only so many ways to skin the cat. The additional header tank, extending the return water lines from the block, and placing the intercoolers in the flat tire "bump out" area is the same approach I'm using. I had to rotate the clutch slave cylinder 180* to clear my left side turbo up pipe. Thanks for blazing the trail. It's alo nice to have an independent soultion to the same probelm. I'll post more pictures when I get the intercooler assemblies from the fabricator. I await the IAT temp rise tests!

Wayne

The Older I get the Faster I was

I haven't installed a second IAT in the car as of yet to actually measure the drop... but maybe i will in the future. The car should be running either tomorrow or next weekend... we worked on it again untill 1:00am tonight.

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Today, we got almost everything finished... all the little bugs worked out etc.... with one exception... one of the boost clamps was not fully clamped onto the pipe and it blew apart... It was too hot to put back together... so tomorrow.. we shall try again!

Marky!

Wow, beautiful work mate! Just stunning! I can't wait to see her running! I want to hear those dual SSBOV's in a video matey! I love my one, two must sound awesome!

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Thanks Guys! -- Artie, with the boost leak.. it sounds like a constant SSQV! LOL... hopefully tomorrow night we can have it fixed. Its funny.. when I was assembling the system... I thought the link was a little weak, so i pulled on it and tried to seperate it but nothing happened, weird eh? oh well.. tomorrow should yield better success! :devil:

Excellent install Mark. It must be very exciting coming towards the end of the hard work, with all the pleasure of test driving to look forward to.

Looking forward to your first drive experiences.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Thanks Mike! You are right.. I'm very excited to actually drive the car tonight after we fix the boost leak.

Looks great Mark,

Thanks for the advice the other night on how to pull the drivetrain when we chatted like teenaged girls :wub:

I did get the transmission then the engine pulled from the car on Friday, finished assembly on the LS1 powered BMW and already have that engine/transmission back in the beast.

Looking forward to seeing your work in person.

Paul

:wub: Very true Paul.. that was a good chat! The car is now up and running -- the boost leak was fairly easy to solve.. just needed to re-adjust the piping and re-clamp.. twice.. lol! anyhow, here it is in action:

th_5681c7dd.jpg

You can't really hear the ssqv in this vid.. I'll have to make a nicer one later. :(

JJ... I hope you like it!

Okay.. so I have some test results on the intercooler. Today I did a 3rd gear pull at WOT, maintaining speed with the brakes at full boost and did so for 30 seconds. The intake temperature started at 17 degrees selsius and the ambient temperature was 2 degrees celsius. After 30 seconds of pulling, the intake temp went up to 25.2 degrees celsius. These numbers have been acquired through my laser temp gun, using it's ambient temperature connector that was inserted into the boost piping just after the intercooler. So.. a 7 degree temperature increase over 30 seconds of full boost... I think that's pretty darn respectable. Now... as a side note, when I'm at idle and the car is just sitting there, the intake piping from the turbo sits at 44 degrees and the output was at 17 degrees with the intercoolers at 10 degrees. I'm happy now :wub:

Mark

That is exceptional !!!

Now the only thing you have to do is to fabricate a easy to install kit to cool down the rest of the V8 bunch :wub:

Cheers

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

I expect that to be available in the fall... just in time for the winter modification season!

• Gold FFM

Mark, put a spare luggage floor to it -and the kit will be a success! Only problem on most of those kits is still that you have to cut your existing luggage compartment-floor. On the positive side -your 'tube type' intercoolers are much more compact than the traditional Garret parts.

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Hi Mark,

I'm impressed. Well done.

It would be interesting to see an OBDII log over a longer drive with max boost held for as long as possible and then see how much slower the MAT builds up and how much quicker it drops when not at max. A log with MAP, MAT, RPM & mph/kmh and the ambient temperature at the time of the log would be useful.

Regards,

Peter.

I agree... I just need something to do that with...

I did get the transmission then the engine pulled from the car on Friday, finished assembly on the LS1 powered BMW and already have that engine/transmission back in the beast.

Paul

Hang on - did I miss something? Is there a thread going on for this swap someplace?

lol!.. no.. this is Pauls AMAZING track car -- LS1 powerd M3. He has pulled his v8 engine out of his 97 to do some work to it. Though... I'm sure Paul can give us a much better description :)

post-1829-1239954288_thumb.jpg

Pictures worth a thousand words...old picture but same thing except the car is now flat black.

Fired it up tonight, everything seems to be working fine, considering engine/trans rebuilt and new twin disc clutch. Just got back from T.O. and the Porsche World Roadshow, awesome time at Mosport driving the new cars :)

Now I can move onto the Lotus V8 and the teardown and build up, look for the tread in the near future. Going to fire up my porting bits and have some fun on the heads.

Today was fixing more bugs.. we got the heater matrix working -- the vaccuum connection to the diverter valve was disconnected. Then we checked on the CEL.. (it's been on for a few days) and it turned out to be a small vaccuum leak in the EVAP system and the air pump. The air pump has been disconnected from the exhaust system, so I don't expect that part of the CEL to go away.. but I have an idea to trick it into thinking it's operational. We also removed the Larini Exhaust and put on the factory "muffler" with the Larini De-Cat pipes. WOW IS IT LOUD NOW!!! VVVRRROOOMMM!!! It's sounds AWESOME!

Yup, yup, yup !!

B)