Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup - Page 9 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup

Hey, is this car gonna be around in July when I bring my car to Mark's for some servicing?? I really wanna see this thing!!! Maybe even get a ride????!

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be... can't see why it wouldnt. :)

And... as for the ride... you'll have to ask the owner :lol:

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Hey, we're all family here, aren't we?

sweet, thanks!! Looking forward to meeting some fellow Lotus drivers. I have never actually seen an Esprit driving in real life,other than mine. Hope mine is up for the trek to AB!

Today was fixing more bugs.. we got the heater matrix working -- the vaccuum connection to the diverter valve was disconnected. Then we checked on the CEL.. (it's been on for a few days) and it turned out to be a small vaccuum leak in the EVAP system and the air pump. The air pump has been disconnected from the exhaust system, so I don't expect that part of the CEL to go away.. but I have an idea to trick it into thinking it's operational. We also removed the Larini Exhaust and put on the factory "muffler" with the Larini De-Cat pipes. WOW IS IT LOUD NOW!!! VVVRRROOOMMM!!! It's sounds AWESOME!

How did you track down the evap leak? Mine throws the CEL from time to time at high RPM and it a minor evap leak. I'm just not sure where to begin running it down...

Russ: We haven't actually tracked it down yet, but I expect it to be as a result of a vaccuum line that we plugged. However, I will be checking the soft lines to the fuel tanks at the fuel filler neck after the vaccuum line and then I will check the vapor lines at the tanks on both sides.

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

It appears to have been the evap solenoid system... the hose that goes to it wasn't clamped on, so we checked the solenoid for leaks and there were none... just put it back together and clamped it this time.

We baught a scan tool today and reset the codes. Interestingly enough, it appears that, with the engine code active, you still get a slight increase in boost when the engine warms up. However, when you clear the code... WOW!!! The car becomes a monster! Dave's feet were lifted off the floor boards under acceleration today! We also did a quick temp run... Here's how we did it:

accelerated hard to 100km/h

Put the car in 4th gear and stepped on the gas to acquire wide open throttle and then regulated brake pressure to try and hold the car from accelerating too much.

The temp started at 20 degrees c and finished at 40 degrees when we decided to stop (about 30 seconds again)

I expect that the output temp of the turbo was close to 150 degrees c at this time.. and to have that much of a temp drop is still great!

The car is, all in all, VERY FAST!

.... and Johnny is a very happy boy !

Looks good, sounds good, and drives sweet !

Next year's plans are for upgraded fuel injectors, Iridium plugs and a new harness, new clutch and flywheel, upgraded turbo's and actuators, re-mapping the ECU, and the gearbox upgrade.

I think that's about it then. Of course, that's more than enough to make me happy!

:D B) :)

hehe... John... are you trying to kick the F430 on the track then? I think we'd be able to give Zahir a run for his money with that much power! :cheers:

There's always something for "next year", isn't there Artie?

How are you coming along? Have you started physio yet?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Okay... so it's been a long time since I've posted, but here's what we've done this year. We've had to protect one of the boost hoses with some heat wrap, as it passes too close to the manifold. We've also installed Marcus' Red race Chip... WOW!!! The chip feels much more potent than the stock or the sport 350 chip we had before... and it's not because of boost pressure, the timing and afr feel different at 12 psi than the last chip did. I will have to do a data log to see what's happening, but we only got the chip installed in late October. Currently the car is back in my shop receiving the holloway upgrade. We pulled the box on Sunday and disassembled as much as we could without a gear puller.

Good work Mark,

Glad to see you cracking on with all the upgrades, when you going to post some pics, miss seeing your car stripped down like when you first did the body repairs, keep up the great work on the up grades ;)

Regards danny

A

We've also installed Marcus' Red race Chip... WOW!!! The chip feels much more potent than the stock or the sport 350 chip we had before... and it's not because of boost pressure, the timing and afr feel different at 12 psi than the last chip did. I will have to do a data log to see what's happening...

Are you sure it's not just 'cause it was -46 degrees C when you tried it? hrhr.gif

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Are you sure it's not just 'cause it was -46 degrees C when you tried it? hrhr.gif

ROFL!!! Nope... it was about +15 as I recall, so it was a little cooler than the +35 weather we had in the summer.. but I had tried it at closer to +20... and it was still WAY faster. As for the -46... that was last year when we had to move the car from my shop to the hangar! :D

Peter -- I am too... I'm expecting to see something close to 11.0 afr (as opposed to the 9.8 I was seeing before) but we will see what the data shows when it happens.

Silverfrost -- Actually, my car is still in it's state of disrepair.. We are still priming and sanding.

Talon -- I think I still owe you some money for the hat! (that's awful isn't it :) )

Ian, see his earlier post in this thread, has used the same intercoolers. He located them adjacent to the control arms and done a good job finding room for them.

He bought the car lightly damaged and with a seized engine from our '08 Targa Tasmania event, before doing a full repair and rebuild. Reputedly has 600whp. I got to drive it last week and it's certainly up there with the fastest.

Iansv8Esprit301109001.jpg

DanR

What a clever location!! I like it! 600whp though? what did he use for mapping?

What a clever location!! I like it! 600whp though? what did he use for mapping?

Don't know. The car was originally built by the same person who engineered the Australian championship winning Sport 300 in the mid 90's.

As for the reputed 600 that may or may not be accurate. Whatever it is there's a lot of them.

DanR

I agree Simon.. I like the sight of my setup.. but I have to say that hiding it all together is pretty sweet!