Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Warranty timing belt change - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Warranty timing belt change

TEAM MAG

Going in for a timing belt change under warranty (2002 V8 with 9k miles). Any recommendations on any other related items that should be replaced also?

I'm thinking I should replace the tensioners since I doubt they are covered under this warranty service. Anything else?

Thanks for any info.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I got mine done I had them change the tensioners & idlers. Yes, these parts are not covered under the warranty but it was good preventative maintenance,,, just my opinion. Also these parts were on backorder so you might want to look into that first.

JoeyO

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

Hi, Bill. My folks lived in Westlake Village for some 30 years. Nice area! Are you referring to "Lotus of Thousand Oaks" (next door to W.V., as you certainly know)? Was just there a few weeks ago while visiting my Dad (now living in Camarillo), and had the pleasure of "talking shop" with their Lotus mechanic, "Ritchie." As I can't imagine two Lotus dealerships being in such close proximity, I have to assume that they are one in the same, and that either they have changed their name, or (more likely) I've got it wrong. They are part of a Jaguar dealership, yes no?

Anyway, if this is in fact the place you're planning on using, I think you will find Ritchie to be quite knowledgable on the car--lots of experience with the brand--even still has a British accent! :thumbsup: I'm half tempted to drive all the way from Austin to California when the time comes for my belts to be changed. I have that much confidence in him, based on the short time I spent there.

Best of luck,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I'd first find out how many V8 belts he's done - other option is Symbolic in La Jolla ...

Edited by fmxa
Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Hi John- Yes, that would be Lotus of Thousand Oaks and in fact it will be Ritchie working on the car. I contacted Lotus directly for a recommendation anywhere in CA where they felt the best mechanic could be found and they recommended Ritchie. I did speak with him and he hasn't don a belt change for about a year but has done many in the past. He does seem quite knowlegeable....maybe the brit accent helps!

Looking forward to getting this done correctly with no worries...I hope!

Hey Alan... Do you know any mechanics to recommend at Symbolic? I've heard good and horror stories from them.

I think you'll be in good hands, Bill. Tell Ritchie I said "hi," (and that the tailgate microswitch rubber accordian cover was a perfect fit--he'll know what you're talking about) and that I'll pay his airfare to Austin when my belts are due. :blush:

Let us know how it turned out.

Cheers,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I'm curious about this timing belt replacement thing. I've tried several times to get in contact with Lotus USA both via email and phone and have not gotten a response from them. I have an '02 with just over 22K. I'm curious what the criteria is to have it done under warranty.

Lotus should cover your first timing belt change under warranty...falls under the emissions warranty which goes for 8 years from purchase. Since yours is a 2002, it should still be covered. You should be able to reach someone at Lotus to verify with your vin #. They are usually good about return calls. Contact a local dealer if not.

Thanks for the info. I tried getting information from the dealership where I purchased, which is a listed dealership on the Lotus USA website and never got any information back from them regarding the timing belt. I had planned to call around to a few of the "local" dealerships with plans to establish a relationship with their service department as I'm shopping around to find a service location since I am not yet confident enough to do anything more major than basic maintenance (oil changes, possibly brakes, etc). I'm in central Cali so there are a few within a couple hours drive of me as well as some independent locations that have been brought to my attention that are located in the LA area. I realize that as a result of mileage, the belt isn't due, but from a time standpoint, it seems that 6 years is pushing it if it's original. I will keep trying to get information as to if it has been replaced, and when and what mileage if so. I know the fluids look to be very fresh, and the car doesn't appear in any way to have been neglected (even the rims are pristine without even the slightest indication of damage), so I'm pretty confident that it was serviced just prior to my purchasing and that the previous two owners were very diligent in maintaining the vehicle to high standards and treating it with the respect it deserves. With the holidays just around the corner I doubt I'll have much time to make any calls, but expect to by early next year.

You need to talk to the Lotus west coast guy Dave Simkin 770-324-6673

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!