Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
looking for digital maps of australia - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

looking for digital maps of australia

Guest teigan

i was hoping to be in australia in time for the birthday, but work scheduling has pushed the date forward. right now i'm trying to get my gps systems antipodded. can anyone point me to some maps? i own pocket streets, sony skymap, and garmin software. topographical data would be great, but isn't essential. thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was hoping to be in australia in time for the birthday, but work scheduling has pushed the date forward.  right now i'm trying to get my gps systems antipodded.  can anyone point me to some maps?  i own pocket streets, sony skymap, and garmin software.  topographical data would be great, but isn't essential.  thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't help you with the GPS gadget, but a google search should turn something up if you searce for a .au web address.

When are you coming out? Where in Australia are you headed?

i'm trying to use only a handheld computer map, so i don't have to fiddle with folded maps. am headed for the northen territories by rented car. maybe sydney to darwin and back if i drive fast enough. i only have 10 days total, and two days are wasted on a wedding; not mine at least.

i'm trying to use only a handheld computer map, so i don't have to fiddle with folded maps.  am headed for the northen territories by rented car.  maybe sydney to darwin and back if i drive fast enough.  i only have 10 days total, and two days are wasted on a wedding; not mine at least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't really help you with the GPS maps, Johnny Appleseed Maps Have them and they are quite cheap.

I don't think you really need maps for the Northern Territory to Sydney trip - kind a difficult to get lost when there is only one road to go on <_< Most difficult part would be getting out of Sydney :D

Most import thing to get is the map from the likes of the RACQ/RACV/NRMA - the show the distances between towns/petrol stops. Feed them into your handheld because is you miss a fuel stop, or get out of sync, there will be a few sections where there is about 300km between towns and that is one place you don't want to run out of fuel.

I've driven a fair bit around Australia, and the whilst there is no limits in the NT, the thing that slows you down tends to be fuel consumption - cruising at 200+kph means you might not make the next town on a full tank.

As far as 8 days Darwin to Sydney and back - theoretically possible, but you would be really pushing it - driving at night in the outback requires a 4x4 with massive bullbar to catch all the Kangaroos on it, because one hopper throught the windscreen at high speed is not something you walk away from. Darwin to Katherine - a 1 ton buffalo makes for a very good roadblock

OGRISH-dot-com-aussiehitchihiker02.jpg

A quick search of google has dug up a vast array of variants.

Personally I wouldn't know which one to choose.

There's free GPS Maps

and

Expensive Gps Maps

or this

I've travelled the outback a fair bit - a big map of your 'Outback' route is good enough, whereas the GPS city map would be the way to go for Sydney.

Be warned though - driving thru the outback is a lot different to anything else you've done before. Last time we went bush there'd be days where we'd be driving and wouldn't see anyone - could be kind of spooky if you're not use to that.

Also be aware that kangaroos almost always travel in packs, so if you're awake enough to miss the first one, then the second one is sure to take you out (bit like torpedos) :D . Early morning and sunset are the bad times.

On one trip I drove 1600kms straight thru in a day - only fell asleep once. Luckily the roads are very wide and there was plenty of runoff to wake you up. <_<

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

One more thing, buy a small UHF CB radio, cost about $80. Talk to a truck driver at a petrol station and ask him about etiquette - if differes along the route but basicallly when you come up on a road train, chat to tthe driver, he will tell you when it is safe to oevertake, and might know about speed traps ahead, he'll make sure he does not swerve out into the opposite lane to miss potholes whilst you are overtaking. Road trains are long - three full 40ft container long and the prime mover, and in NT, petrol tankers can be up to 5 trucks long - that's over 50m long and the don't drive slowly either - I was behind one a B Triple at 160kph and reached over 200kph when passing him on a narrow 7m wide road - not for the feint hearted. I did the 1500km from Eucla to Perth in 12 hours - and the last 300km was at 110kph due to the speed cameras and included fuel and food stops. I find that driving fast helps you stay awake, espeically on the 80 mile straight. <_<, Melbourne Port Hedland in 5 days - about 5000km. You are going about 4000km, so 4 days each way is possible , but with jet lag etc not recommended. Unless you have friends in Sydney to drive with, rather fly into Brisbane, cuts the trip down by 1000km ( a day's drive) and you miss out onthe NSW police. New South Wales has gone crazy on speeding on the major highway - speed camera, mobile units and unmarked cars are verywhere. I would not speed within 300km of Sydney or you will get booked - 40km over the limit and they take you off to jail :D

thanks for all the advice. sounds like the ultimate adventure. i think i'll go with the appleseed maps, as two of you recommended them. they should download okay into my garmin handheld. the wedding is in brisbane, so i guess i'll go brisbane to darwin to alice springs to sydney if possible.

thanks for all the advice.  sounds like the ultimate adventure.  i think i'll go with the appleseed maps, as two of you recommended them.  they should download okay into my garmin handheld.  the wedding is in brisbane, so i guess i'll go brisbane to darwin to alice springs to sydney if possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Teigan,

I suppose you've already done a search for "outback driving". Lots of info there. The most important thing is safety. More so if on your own. Also not sure when the monsoons start and don't be tempted to swim in any creeks or so especially in NT. Our "salties" like human meat and have been known to stalk their human prey.

We'll want lots of photos so you can update Wayne on Madmax territory.

DanR

Sydney-Darwin return is a bloody long trip in ten days and you wouldn't have much time to see anything if thats what you want to do.... I am a parochial Australian but driving through the outback without stopping to look at the interesting bits that pop up every 500km or so tends to get pretty dull after a while (like driving around and around Nevada for a 1000miles and still not seeing Las Vegas), unless you hit a Kangaroo or something. Have you considered doing a single driving leg and flying back from Darwin to Sydney - domestic airfares are relatively cheap?

If you're at a loose end in Brisbane and want to catch up with a fellow lotuseer for a quiet ale (with the option of loud ones), then I'd be in on that, although it doesn't look like you'd have the time!

Oh, and if the movie 'Wolf Creek' is still on in the cinemas here, wait until after your trip to see it. The guy in the lead role (as an murderer in the outback) is so convincing his (actress) wife felt uncomfortable around him during filming.

cheers,

Ian.

Edited by scooter

that's a good insight. i hadn't considered stopping anywhere for the scenery. maybe i'll do the touristy thing and drive to uluru. it does take a lot of trips to see australia. last time i was there i only saw the southern coastline.