Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Where are they now - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Where are they now

My personal view on the subject is this.i know i have said it before .The Essex cars are unique .They were the Fist turbos .All dry sump cars .Fantastic specifications.Iowned a early Dry sump Turbo .Ex lotus road test cars 0PW679W. Which as you all know the next number on from the bond car .The car went on to become the first racing Turbo .At one year old the car had all Essex specs .Apart from split rims.Owned by Pete Hall owner of industrial control services .Raced by Andy rouse. And later owned by Gerry Marshall.It nows Rests in Haynes Motor museam .I wonder what its value is now.............Sure miss it .Your thoughts Mike

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's totally irresponsible to talk Essex prices down it's this kind of talk that started the credit crunch.

In fact talking any Lotus price down is an act of treason and Bibs should but a policemans hat on an issue a fine.

Propose this fine should be a 12 months ban from any Lotus gathering coupled with a grovelling apology on the forum.

Won't be any apology from me I'm afraid. I just don't see them at the overinflated prices they seem to be advertised (but not sold) at. They're just a stickered up Turbo, an evolution of the S2.2 purely for the marketing boys to have some jollies with. Some might even describe them as a second best choice, as the Type 909 V8 engine was never produced, so as a compromise, we got a blown four instead.

I'm aware there are some misty-eyed types that hold them in some sort of reverence, but it's very rare for these people to actually buy the product.

Current owners are fully entitled to value their car at whatever monetary amount they desire, however cash value and worth are two different matters altogether and the two only ever cross over when a new purchaser has commited to their new aquisition.

Although I'm not sensitive enough to assume your comments have been typed with 100% seriousness, I'm flattered you feel that my ramblings on the internet will have any bearing on anything of any consequence, least of all the value of secondhand cars.

I'll be turning up to as many Lotus gatherings as possible this year with my head held high, fully aware that I may not have the same opinion as every other person in the room/bar/field over all kinds of differing subjects. I would expect every other person to have their own opinions and won't be at all upset if they don't match mine.

Have fun with your car, enjoy it for what it is. That part of ownership you can't put a price on. :)

I've no problem with people saying they don't like Essex car's, each to their own and all that, but as the original question was "what are they worth?" perhaps we should keep to the facts.

There were around 35 Essex cars made, 24 for the UK and 11 for overeas markets.

There are 5 currently road legal in the UK so it is a VERY limited market.

We all know markets move up & down and the prices achieved reflect not only what someone thinks they are worth but what somebody is actually prepared to sell at (demand and supply). In the last 2 years to my knowledge 4 Essex's cars appear to have changed hands, two were roadworthy, two not.

Roadworthy

Essex 011 - My car, I don't wish to be precise as to what I paid but the comment "

Sorry Barrie - I will go and see Pauls 016 this week and get the fotos promised!!!

As far as values it probably does boil down to how much you want a certain model but rarity and obviously condition raise the bar.

That said Essex /JPS /S1/2/2.2 cars to me are special and good ones once sought would be worth more now than some of the later cars.

Now times passing on though I can see all Esprits have now really hit their low and values can only rise in all models.

I wouldn't buy or keep one just as an investment though. I got and still have mine just because I love the car............................

Edited by nello

In the whole ten years of me owning Esprits, there were always threads

on the theme of 'Prices going up', usually based on an Ad that was still up

there long after the thread, and it's associated twitterings, dropped down

the topic board and got forgotten, like the thread before it, the thread before

that, the one before that etc,etc... all the same.

Owning two Esprits, each for five years, and in that time selling the two Esprits

and looking at buying several others, seeing the cars for sale, seeing what was

selling while mine were for sale, seeing the year old ads for

• 5 months later...

Hi Steve T

I remember how much your valuation was on 004, and if I had the money I would pay it!

Yours has to be the best Essex, and therefore best G Turbo in existence. :-)

Must pop up and see it again sometime.

Regards

Richard C (Northampton)

93 S4

82 Turbo