Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fuel pump reset - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fuel pump reset

Steve Type 085

Hi All

On the weekend drove my 88 turbo with Bosch fuel injection from a sealed road onto very rough and corrugated gravel road, as I did the engine stop. I found the the Fuel pump needed to be reset to get engine to start.

Can any tell me why the fuel pump would need reseting? and what does protect engine from?

Thank Steve

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The reasoning for the fuel shut off is intended as a safety device after an impact. Electric fuel pumps will continue to pressurize the fuel system as long as the ignition is switched on and battery power is available. The shutoff reduces the potential of an engine compartment fire being fed by the EFI system. Unfortunately minor parking impacts and road harshness can also trigger the device as well.

A lot of people with modern cars don't know where there's is located and end up getting towed in for a simple reset.

(another) Steve

G'day Steve

Could just be that you have a sensitive switch that turned itself off due to the rough road or that there is a loose connection on the pump itself.

I would not worry too much unless it continues.

as an excersize, i would just pull all the fuel pump terminals off and clean the contacts and then put them together again. If you do have poor contacts then it cannot be good for the circuits integrity anyway.

It could also be an indication that the pump is on the way out mate.

lets hope for the bad contacts...

HTH

Justin... same car!

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...