Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
new dash plans - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

new dash plans

Hi all,

As part of my interior refurb i'll be replacing the cracked (and now shattered) abs plastic surround. so some questions:

bigsi, did you ever get a carbon fibre one from that company? what was your impression of the service?

i do like the idea of c/f. any pics of your finished dash?

if not c/f, then probably wood. what i really need is a template of the center section. i just need the outside dimensions as i'll be putting the gauges in non standard positions (nothing radical, just putting the tacho and speedo as low as possible so i've got half a chance of seeing what speed i'm doing...).

jimmibondi, do you still have a template somewhere? or does anyone else?

i've found a range of switches/warning lights but what would be really cool would be for the dash to be a dark sort of colour and be etched with leds behind so warning lights just shine out of the dash, if that makes any sense! it would just be a case of getting some sort of opaque backing etched off a clear front, then mounting the leds behind in light proof pods... anyone gone down this sort of path before?

thanks in advance

simon

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When my S3 has passed its MOT re-test I'll be doing something with my dash. It has been replaced by a PO with a plate of brass. I was thinking only today (chatting to windscreen guy who was asking a few things about the car) about Carbon Fibre. It probably makes sense for the dash to be styled like the original even if it's slightly different in dial placement.

I believe Travis (Vulcan Grey) made one out of CF and had an excellent step by step with photos on his web site, however his site did crash and I don't know if he still has the guide. I'm sure he'll pipe up here in time.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

This is my effort if it is any help

IMG_1185.jpg

I am also in the final stages of getting the alphanumeric LCD display fitted, hope to post some details about that soon.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

HI All ,

Hope this is not too far off topic. Can anyone offer an explanation about the following dash I have attached the picture of. After researching I have been able to find info about the different stages of the Esprit dash, but nothing ever seems to mention the dash on this car. I have seen 2 different Esprits with this type of dash , one was this S2 and one an S3, both with the blue interior.

BTW. Its not that I like this dash at all , Just wondering if its stock or an after market ''sport'' dash or something.

This pic is stolen from www.lotusesprit.com.au sale section. The car is a S2.2 from what I can tell.

post-5360-1235787049_thumb.jpeg

I guess the thing for me is to make up a template out of cardboard to start with, then transfer that to somthing more solid. it's a complex shape with curved tops and flat sides so it may take a couple of attempts! my plan is basically to retain the general layout, just relocate the warning lights so i can drop the speedo and tacho a bit. what i end up doing about the warning lights will remain to be seen. i do like the look of the carbon company mentioned in a previous thread by a previous person, if i go for their service i'll report on the process...

I'll change the switchgear too :o at the risk of offending the purists...

cheers

simon

ps my first emoticon...

HI All ,

Hope this is not too far off topic. Can anyone offer an explanation about the following dash I have attached the picture of. After researching I have been able to find info about the different stages of the Esprit dash, but nothing ever seems to mention the dash on this car. I have seen 2 different Esprits with this type of dash , one was this S2 and one an S3, both with the blue interior.

BTW. Its not that I like this dash at all , Just wondering if its stock or an after market ''sport'' dash or something.

This pic is stolen from www.lotusesprit.com.au sale section. The car is a S2.2 from what I can tell.

post-5360-1235787049_thumb.jpeg

I would have to say no. That does not look to be original. Though I have seen an original Elvis oil painting on the same material that was used to redo that interior. Best I can tell the steering wheel is original and the seat belt buckle and the door light switch.

Cheers

Clay

the vomelour looks to be the same as mine was suffering from, and as far as i can tell the carpet may well have originally been that sort of colour...

27092008247.jpg

but my binnacle is as you can see standard!

anyone out there with a template of their inner dash (with the gauges)? I haven't got around to making up one yet...

Edited by simon a-b

Simon, is it the same as the turbo esprit dash, if so I have a new one which I could trace out for you?

:)

It's getting there......

pete, that's exactly what i'm looking for! pity mine collapsed (it was pretty broken and needed replacing anyway). what i really need to do is a pretty accurate tracing of the outside dimensions (and I may as well get the hole dimensions too while i'm at it). it's a lot tighter than i remember between the gauges, it's funny how your mind plays tricks.

i'm in woking, i see you're in hampshire, are you close to woking?

cheers and thanks for the responses,

simon

Hi Simon,

I'm in Liphook so not a million miles away! I still need to sort my dash. The original was pretty bad and as they are next to impossile to source I made a flat panel out of ali in the same shape as a temporary arrangement until I could get hold of a new dash. I managed to source one but I'm hoping to find someone who can make some copies using the good one as a template. The difficulty is finding someone who does vacum forming but in small quantities. If you know of anywhere I'll look into it as I've yet to fit it to my car.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

If you need a dash panel to take measurements from then I have still got my old one kicking about somewhere (and a spare pod as well) , I am in Shepperton so even closer if needed.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

The trick is to fit the instrument pods on the wooden dashboard (cutouts are the same diameter and distance as the metal frame beneath and fitment with the satin black instrument ring visible) otherwise space between the instruments is too close to manage... (I hope this is understandable) Please see my dahboard here: Dasboard

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

over the weekend i've been thinking about this. i wonder how one would go about making a really complex shape; i'm thinking one piece to curve around the whole pod, with the instruments set back into depressions in the curve (like a lot of alfa's have). flights of fantasy really, but something i'll aim for sometime in the future.

the dash in ebay looks in good nick, but is it just me or is it curved/warped a bit? since i'm making changes due to my excess height (lowering the main gauges as much as possible so i can see my speed!), re positioning warning lights, it's not much good to me, but i'm watching anyway.

in the meantime, since yours is being preserved in good nick pete, can i borrow your old one hilly? i think short term i'll get flat pieces of carbon and make my own cuts, like yours hilly. by the way, it looks like you have replaced headlights and fan switches with twist switches? where did you get them?

i've been looking at lights switches in as many cars as i can to find a good replacement combination switch like in my passat, with side then main lights but with the pull option for fog lights. the passat one is quite big, ideally i'll find the same sort of switch but with a smaller diameter. i did think about positioning the lights switch on the dash rather than the binnacle but i'm undecided about that.

cheers

simon