Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rusty Brakes :( - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Rusty Brakes :(

Hi fellow esprit martyrs

Decided to change the bushes and suspension on my car. It was all going well until I got to the front of the car. The front left disc looks like it hasn't been working properly. There is a rusty and pitted ring running around the outside 1/5 on the inboard surface.

The car did have a small tendancy to pull to the right sometimes when braking hard.

The previous owner had left the car standing with a car cover for over a year in a large damp hanger, hence the rusty suspension parts I am replacing.

Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this? And what I might have to do fix it.

I guess that i will need new front disc and pads now as well, but is there I should do to the callipers beforehand?

Anoter thing is, which discs and pads are best for fast road use. There doesnt seem to be a conclusive decision from previous threads.

Cos

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is only my view but. First the disk is not good, I would have it machined if there is sufficient material there to do so. If they are those horrible single piston callipers like mine (88 Stephens) then you need to check the slides are moving freely. No pictures of the pads but check wear and type. And don't just do it one side do it all to both.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

It's hard to tell from the pic but my guess is that the rusty pitted area isn't part of the area touched by the pads. Check this first.

If it isn't touched by the pads, it's not a real concern ad you can leave it if you wish.

If it is part of the pad area, I'd guess while standing the discs because rusted on the surface, this is then swept by the pads but as iron oxide is harder than the iron of the discs it isn't warn away by the pads. You can either have them machined (cost circa

RIGHT :)

As you say the person who left it standing has probably caused this - the brake calipers have small shims fitted to hold the pad and stop it rattling.

On my car (which was also stood for ages in the wet and rusted....Bloody LOTUS !!) there was corrosion in the caliper which swelled under the shim forcing it to pinch the pad in hard.

When the brake came on the pads did not hit the disk cleanly and hence I got the rings as well.

This is why I service the car myself - no garage is going to do this kinda tlc work for you really.

Here are the pictures :

3338817746_be4b7db9d8.jpg

I ahve cleaned the corrosion (aluminium oxide) from where the shim sits allowing the shit to fit properly.

3337990151_1f5b4c5023.jpg

This is the shim fitted back in place, it's been flattened and polished off to allow the pad to move freely but not excessive in the caliper.

As a very cheap replacement I use EBC disks and pads - very cheap but do the job.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

The 2 most important things on a car are tyres and brakes. Even if you only use it for road use good brakes are key. If in any doubt I replace the discs and fit new pads, the callipers can be refurbished, again any doubt as to their condition I would replace them.

It is expensive to do but well worth it

I have replaced mine, if you need the info just ask and I will dig it out. Also the fitting is easy and can be done in a few hours.

Best regards

Dave

Thanks Alex and Jonathan

As fellow GT3 owner, I can imagine that you suffer with rust in your eyes too whenever you get under the car. What is it with GT3s and rust?

I think I will go the only direction I can, and thats to replace the discs and pads as well. I will have a good look at the callipers as well. I am sure that they must have some brown stuff in them somewhere too.

Have to get my lower ball joint out now, and the all the other front suspence bushes. Taking the whole thing apart right now. My garage worktop is full of parts now.

Whats the best way to get the ball and the bush out?

Nothing special with the GT3 - it's just the way the car is kept. Mine was stood for 2 years, in the damp I suppose and it just rot to hell.

Now mine lives in a garage all year and it's absolutly fine, even when left sitting for 2-3 months (only just got my car out since before x-mas) - you can keep these cars outside but without regular use they will rot away and thats where the problems come from - same with most cars on this age really.

Good luck with the lower ball joint - I had to destroy mine to get it out, it's an extremely tight fit and if there is rust on the car you have 2 hopes of getting it off without doing some damage - just order some spare and save yourself a lot of heart ache.

Best of luck !

(yes I have had most of the car's rust collection in both my eye sockets !! hehe)

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk