Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
That unapealling fuel smell.... - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

That unapealling fuel smell....

imafiga

The Esprit I bought (1988 Commerative Edition) has the fuel line replaced, and the fuel tanks have been checked by a Lotus Certified mechanic recently. I have checked what I believe to be the charcoal canister, but it will not open. Is it supposed to remain closed? Any insight on this is appreciated, as my wife refuses to ride along until this issue is resolved.

Best Regards,

Anthony

Edit - Anthony I've moved this to the Stevens Tech Room as I think you'll get a better response there. matk

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you checked the fuel tank vents..that's the usual source of the dreaded pong..

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

When you say you've replaced the fuel lines, have you included the breather lines that run over the top of the rear window? They are known to perish and crack, causing fuel vapours to be drawn into the car. Easy fix.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Hi, When I brought my 1988 turbo (non carb) it hard a light fuel smell when pushing hard, this smell was stronger with window up. Now that I have replace the breather pipes no smell at all. I would say that when you pushing hard it sloshes the fuel around.

Steve

update......I have no fuel smell, driving down the road feeling great, crack my windows about 2 inches and THERES THAT @#$$&!! Smell again. I conducted a "sniff test" underneath the fuel tanks, and stuck my nose in the seat blet slots as far as I could and could not smell anything.......it's really driving me mad!!! Everything as far as tubing seems to have been replaced, and when I bought it in June 08 it had just went through $4K of work. I am still trying to find the Fuel vents and the charcoal canister to check them ( I'm not mechanically gifted) so ALL help is welcomed.

Regards,

Anthony