Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil Catch Tank Question - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil Catch Tank Question

CarlC

Got my catch tank at last. But one thing I've not been able to confirm is once I remove the crank case breather pipe from the air box and stick it into the catch tank, which has two ports, and I block the other off will the system still work given that its now a closed/sealed system.

Looking at the LEW guide for Kato's Catch tank this had only one input and appeared to be sealed so I take it this will be fine but I dont understand how the mist will flow to the tank if there is no air flow through or to it ?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is the Mocal one,  try blowing into it.  It is not sealed it has a breathable top.

Dermot

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Dermot,

Mine isnt the Mocal type with the cap and if I seal one of the opening off and blow in the other it is air tight.

One is the inlet the other is the vent to air.

Think mine works in a swirl action (like a pneumatic seperator) inlet is ported to make the air go in a vortex, swirly air tends to slow down and the mist falls from it - excess air can then breathe through the vent. Blocking one off will cause it to be air tight.

Hard to tell - you should have an in / out on the ports - can you take the thing apart ? Some tanks are uniform fit as well, I haven't updated my pics on the garage yet but....

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Ooops forgto to mention - the left (with the pipe on) is the inlet, the right is the vent. Covering either hole will make it air tight - hehe cus the air has to go somewhere !

You definitely need a vent on a catch tank, preferably with some type of filter on the end to keep oily vapor from escaping into the engine compartment.

Here's another installation to look at:

p10001246kt.th.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks all for your replys.

I will use the second outlet on the catch tank to put a breather filter on it.

I checked the breather pipe tonight and I was amazed how much oil it had in it.

Ill post up some picks tomorrow when the jobs complete.

Yeah mine too - covered in oil.

You can take the vent back to the airbox if you want - Give it a go, a few miles down the road take it off and check if it's still passing oil (will be a slight film around the pipe).