Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Newbie GT3 - Page 2 - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Newbie GT3

buccal

Yeah, go check it out :( hehe

Sounds like a bit of a dealer to me, just the wording.

Find out whats been changed on it during the services, cam bets = 3-4 years so look when the last C service was done.

If it's not been played with or modified generally thats a good sign the owner hasn't ponsed about with diy upgrades.

Dunno why this hasn't sold either, usually thats no siign of good/bad car though as most people just see the things and buy them without really looking (hence why some bad cars have millions of owners)

I would chase this up if I were in the market, on paper it's a good deal, get it looked at propperly (bell and colvill - scott on here will be able to help with that) and then buy it LOL - seriously if you can afford the car and keep 2 grand back for any emergency probs / tyres and silly stuff I would rather have an Esprit that needs some TLC (noth that this looks as if it does) than be looking up and down the country.

I bought mine this way - was top price and not in ideal condition but I bought it anyways and worked on it and I seriously wouldn't part with it for twice what it's worth now - it's an absolute joy to own.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my GT3 for 7 (maybe 8, I can't quite remember!) years now and have put close to 50,000 miles on it. I use it as my daily driver and have never regretted buying it. Running costs are quite high, mostly in tyres and clutches, with only a few surprises - radiator leak, cracked manifold and rotten fuel tanks being the main ones. Touch wood, it's only been on the AA lorry twice and one of those was when I managed to slide it sideways into a wall and rather bend the suspension and wheels!

Regular servicing and keeping on top of little problems is the key. I'm aware that I'll be looking at a new turbo soon, likely a new engine, but for me the bonus of spending an hour or more every day enjoying life, rather than being sat in some hateful eurobox is well worth it. It helps that we don't have much traffic down here in Cornwall though, rather than being stuck in a jam for most of the time.

Just my twopenn'orth, good luck with the hunt!

Tim B

Hi Alex,

Was that Chrome Orange GT3 you were looking at from blackpool/Lancaster way by any chance? If so I went to collect this with Pete at PNM for a German owner. I drove it and it was quite nice.

I think the trader sold it for

This car has certainly been on the market before quite recently ...................... perhaps it didn't reach its reserve.

Looks tidy.

Just needs a wing on the back. Think Alex--GT3-- still has one for sale and it's in the same colour too :(

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

• Gold FFM

I viewed the Green GT3 from e-bay over the week-end: really nice genuine bloke and i think he has been messed around by potential buyers at earlier attempts to sell.

Colour is not my favorite, but worth a look if Racing Green is your thing.

I also agree with earlier comment on the red GT3 at Nutley cars:- price is a little 'rich' although it does seem to be 'mint' and Nutley seem to be putting a premium on their known history of the car.

(The one and only....'Deep Purple' Esprit GT3)

Thanks once again for all the replies,

Yup i'm not too keen on the green gt3 colour wise, which i guess is why its been for sale for a while.

Re The Chrome Orange one, yes david same car was at a dealer called ALBICO in the preston area.

We were all set for driving up and i got a call to say it had gone the night before.

The Mrs was gutted as for once i had her on board so it would have been a done deal if it looked reasonable.

Shame!

Alex

I dont think the colour looks too bad, it's not BRG (which I like) and it's not that horrible green for the press cars.

However if you want a striking colour like orange you need to be prepared to strike while the iron is hot becuase they are so rare, exceptionally rare !

Back when I bought mine it had to be red (ferrari jokes yeah yeah yeh - always had red or silver cars) so i ended up buying something a little over the odds and in not pristine condition.

I could have waited out and bought the perfect car, but I would have been looking for a year, perhaps longer.

So if you're looking for a GT3 you're looking for probably 100 cars existing in the UK, divide that by the colours they made them in and then by the rarity of certain colours and you have 1-2 cars in existance.....they're that RARE - red, silvers and yellows are the most popular but oranges, white, black and so on are probably single figures in existance.

What I am saying is if you see the colour you want, you need to prepare to buy and fix what ever is wrong - just to put it into perspective.

Also helps to have as many people know what you're looking for - I bought mine I think from a recomendation from SuperDave Walters - it wasn't actually advertised iirc.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Jon,

It wasn't me so it must be Mark. I do put quite a few recommendations out there and look at a few Esprits with owner but I thought yours didn't ring a bell.

I got our leader Bibs car BTW and he bought it over the phone I think. He did know the car and previous owner which helped!

Always gald to help.

Alex,

It was Albico as I found the business card this morning! I think the bill for the work on the car was anything upto

Were it ?

Yep, 8 years on various Esprit forums and no-one remembers me :blink:

To the original poster, there are a few GT3s popping up including a couple of members cars here where their histories are well knowm (check out Pistonheads for Owen's yellow car and Mick Hull's blue one). Plenty of people will vouch they are nice cars. There is a "deep purple" one just popped up at Peter Smith Sportscars, not a colour I've ever seen before, can't say I like it or not yet...the showroom pics are very dark, maybe it livens up a bit in the daylight.

Edited by LooseCannon

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Deep Purple on a '98 Bibsy. It has a flip of bluey - greeny loveliness in the sunshine. Not popular on Esprits for some reason, but plenty of Elises went out the door in Deep Purple - usually with Mag or Tan leather.

I like it. :blink:

Got mine from Pete Smiths, can recommend, not the cheapest in the world but it will come with a good warranty and be sorted. They also have an Evora so maybe you could blag a test drive in that too. The only drawback when I got mine was I had to pay he deposit before the test drive, but thats just to stop the tyrekickers.