High oil pressure - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

High oil pressure

marka

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be due to a stuck pressure relief valve, but the reading means more if we know what your normal pressure reading was for this situation and what the situation is (warm engine/ cold engine, type of oil used etc).

Andy

5bar, or about 75psi would be a good oil pressure for a cold engine. iirc, mine runs about 60psi (4 bar?) with high throttle when warm, then drops to 25psi (approx 1.6 bar) on warm tick over.

If the thermostatic pressure relief valve does not work, you have a chance of blowing your oil cooler ( will be on my second cooler in 6 months of driving when i get back, due to my S3t not having a bypass valve fitted )

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

From cold the pressure would be shy of 5bar then as the engine warmed through it would settle to about 4.1 Bar. At the moment at idle the pressure is about 2.5bar, but when the engine is reved the pressure increases rapidly to over 5bar. As i have not has the car for long i am going to change the oil and filter, simply then i know the correct oil in in it and its a good place to start. Andy you mentioned the relief valve is it accessible to service.

Many thanks to the Andy and Dodgy for responding

• 1 month later...

Just a update on this one. I eventually got round to changing the oil, filter. Which made no difference, my attention then turned to the pressure sender unit. This was where the fault was i.e dodgy wiring, cleaned up the connections all is now fine. The oil pressure stable at 4.1 Bar

• 1 month later...
Just a update on this one. I eventually got round to changing the oil, filter. Which made no difference, my attention then turned to the pressure sender unit. This was where the fault was i.e dodgy wiring, cleaned up the connections all is now fine. The oil pressure stable at 4.1 Bar

Hi Mark

I have the exact same symptoms -can you tell me where to find the pressure sender connection/s ? At idle it sits at 2.5, when under way it's up at 5 bar, on the end stop. Oil and filter changed, no difference. I've had a look for the sender but can't locate it, is access from top or bottom ?

cheers

Too many Toys are never enough !

It's under the plenum, just forward of the starter motor. Just about impossible to get to without removing the plenum, watch the gasket.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Thanks guys, I'll get in there and have a look tonight. The pics and wise words are appreciated.

Ta !

Too many Toys are never enough !