Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Availability - Wanted - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Availability

JonSE

Hi - I've looked at the current adverts for S1's (one!) and understand due to rarity and survival rates they are quite thin on the ground and can be expensive when they do come around!!

As a current Esprit owner, I would be interested in buying an S1 if I could find the right car.

Understand from the S1 owners on the forum that finding the car may take a while (up to ten years in one case :) ) but thought I'd start investigating and see what the next few years bring!! I'm working on my S2 and SE at the moment so I can wait for the right car! Ideal car would be:

Condition - prefer average but running if possible and in regualr use. Mileage not an issue.

Couldn't handle major bodywork but missing engine / gearbox would be OK as I could source these if neccasary. Prefer MOT'd car though if possible!

(Concours restorations and VGC low mileage cars are realistically out of my price league I'm afraid and I do really want to use the car and not devalue such important vehicles...)

Colour - White - preferably. But as its a long term fixer upper I could consider any colour combination.

Wheels - Wolfrace a definite preference to later speedlines as occasionally found fitted to S1's.

Interior - Black preferable but don't mind due to rolling restoration.

I'm assuming I'm describing most average S1's outside my colour spec so if you have a car tucked away that you would like to go to an enthusiast, please drop me a line!

I don't expect I'll be seeing a queue anytime soon (!) but the car must be in the UK and available to view at realistic price!

I'm providing a good home and would probably hang on to an S1 permanently with a view to a complete rolling restoration.

Thanks for looking,

Jon.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon,

This car: http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/1330395814.html . . . is in Long Island, New York.

But wait --

- it's white

- it's an early production, RHD car originally registered in the UK (built 1976, chassis is somewhere around 150G-155G, IIRC)

- the frame is in good condition

- the body needs only minor prep work

- it has Wolfrace wheels (at least three...)

- I'm fairly certain that $3500 USD will buy it.

Another forum member, a fellow S1 owner who I believe emigrated from the UK, has seen it in person.

What does it need?

- it's missing the engine

- and gearbox

- and about half of the interior (seats and some other parts) . . . it was/is Tartan, FWIW

- and of course it needs restoration

It deserves to go back home.

I realize that buying a car from overseas is daunting, but shipping should be well under $2000 USD (I'm guessing around $1500), and you would have the car as soon as the time it takes to bring it over, and beat the waiting game of waiting/hoping for an S1 to turn up in the UK. S1s are more common in the States (LHD, of course); it just happens that a few people brought RHD cars here as personal imports.

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Thanks for this info - I'll drop the vendor a note.

The missing wheel may be a killer - you can't get hold of these anywhere!

Thanks,

If it's a front, I think I have a spare . . . I think it's missing a Wolfrace, but it might have all four -- I'm not sure any more . . .

EDIT: Copy and paste of craigslist ad text because it's probably going to expire in a day or two:

1976 lotus espirit no engine or transmission white car looks like james bond movie car very straight body call lou at 631-835-6744

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE