Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1987 S3 Turbo damage- options? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1987 S3 Turbo damage- options?

So, to summarize: I'm new to the forum. Located near Portland, OR. I've been searching for an esprit for awhile, and picked up this project. I'm a serial project-guy but have mostly worked on motorcycles.

I have talked with two body-repair-guys and sent them pictures. Both have worked with fibreglass. They suggested I post up some pics for comments since neither has worked on a lotus.

Obvious hit to the nose. Damage is really limited to both front quarter panels & under bonnet. Hood is fine, one knack in bumper. BTW-why don't these ever get rearended? :thumbsup:

5-09unload1.jpg

I would like comments and options on how to proceed.

Should I replace front clip? Would all Giugiaro years be a match? Would you start as far back as the A-pillar?

lotuspassside1.jpg

Although it is not obvious from the pictures, all of the fiberglass is there and, if properly aligned, would match up. Would it be feasible to reinforce the nose enough (without making it a fiberglass disaster on the backside)? I understand that almost anything is possible, but would you recommend someone attempt this? - start fresh (new front end)? - or ?

lotusdriverside3.jpg

lotusfrontunderside1.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alden,

I am no fiberglass guy but looking at the pictures it would not be feasable to try and stick the bits back together as the repair would be messy,bodged and not worth the effort for the work involved, also it has been known that with fiberglass some cracks come out through the fiberglass a few weeks later, your best bet would be to replace the complete front end just after the A POST.

As for the front ends im fairly sure you can use a scrap s2,s3 front end.

Regards danny

A

I agree, check the chassis. Also the collapsible steering column will almost certainly have sheered its locking pins, so you'll need a new one of these. The chassis is the most important thing though. I would say if its bent you'll need another, and that will def make the whole thing uneconomic.

Sorry to sound negative..........

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I think the body being changed would make it awkward with the DVLA, but a new (or old) front end being used should be fine, but all subject to chassis considerations.

Edited by andydclements

Good spot. I just don't know the name of the official body of bureaucrats, DMV? DMT? But the body on some Lotus cars is considered to be the monocque chassis, thus the identity of the vehicle goes with the fibreglass. Not sure how each bunch of pencil pushers feel about that component.

I probably asked the wrong question.

I haven't had any chance to dig into this yet and I jumped ahead.

The frame/chassis will be checked before doing any bodywork. I understand the economics of a bent chassis.

How/Where can I see if the steering column has sheared it's pins? Would this be obvious?

A replacement whole body is not out of the question. DMV really just looks at the VIN and it's nothing like the MOT, from what I understand. (for better or worse)

Steering column pins are poured plastic. under the dash (remove the column shrouds to see the area) there are two large bolts that secure cast ali pieces (Bobbins?) to the dash area. Therese ali pieces can clide on the steel of the sterring column, molten plastic is poured into these.

To check, unbolt the column and check if the ali pieces slide, if they do, you could consider (I've heard of people using screws to replace the pins) replacing them with something, but I wouldn't recommend it.