Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Project GT2 - Sport 300 Le Mans Replica - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Project GT2 - Sport 300 Le Mans Replica

...the real gt2 that was posted the other day on here must have given you a real insperation to crack on...

I must have missed out on that one :D

Fantastic job done Jonathan! I really love this topic! Keep up all good work, once it is finished you can be proud on what you have achieved.

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mines an 1989 SE in wolf's clothing.

The cars in question were the Esprit 300 Sport racers Lotus produced in the early 90's - I've actually got one of the sales brochures which is interesting.

Finding one of the racers is an atom in a haystack - I know of 5x 300 sport racers that took part in events here (inc the one that won the British championship - Green/yellow - the Special Editions S4 road car was detailed in commemoration). I dont know where they are now and no-one I have spoken to knows either (or is letting on for what ever reason) which is a shame becuase I'd like to document one not only for the project but for the car itself - there is a lot of missing info on the cars, yet I think they are an important part of the Esprit's history (hence my little homage).

The differences are night and day - as I say mine is just a standard SE underneath, lightened and most of the creature comforts removed, becuase mine is a road car I have to consider the fact it will be used by 2 people and be driving some distances on the public highways with it. I could take it a lot further but when you consider spending 15-25,000 on the car to get it to race spec and eliminating the road capabilities I dont see the point.

I am going for full on replica though, even down to some very tiny details, but as I say some of the restrictions on certain aspects will prevent it being 100%, more 98%.

(quick fill tanks for example)

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• 2 months later...

Update :

Spray man was a big let down so we've been doing the glassing, filling and spray work ourselves which with the on/off weather has been snails pace.

Car was also covered with electrical faults, fault codes and just terrible electrics all in all - spent a while debugging it all and finally got a 10 min run tonight with no codes or issues, apart from the front n/s light stopped working again ! Seems to run well though, idle is poor but drives superbly on the throttle.

Jobs to do :

Spraying arches / roof

Sort rear deck in place + detail

Paint magnesios + fit tyres

Rear hub spiggots + long bolts (I desperatly need a lathe or machinist to help here)

Steering needs inspecting, suspect rack loose. Steering has about 10 degrees of play in it, dangerous !

Interior finish

Just trying to get it to the livable, drivable and doesn't look like a shed stage atm.

Looking forward:

Light pod needs to be completed

Adjustable + lowered suspension

Wing and other body work details

Decals, mebbe.

Really missing the GT3 atm - hasn't been driven in 2 months :lol:

• 1 month later...

Ta daaaa

4727426629_ff3d0f5db4_b.jpg

Big props to my Dad, it's mostly all his work the way it looks now by spraying it himself, outside without much in the way of equipment - top job imo.

Steering rack is done, needs to go back in once the paint is dry, need a new column bearing as well - old one was like a rattle.

Next job is bringing all the body work together, hardest part will be the roof becuase of the fact it's so thin it find it self hard to make a seal with the bodywork without deforming but I has a plan.

Lowered suspension is the next big buy - the new spiggots need making for the rear hubs and the spacers need completing for the fronts.

Wing is the next biggest challenge, mainly the fixing, I know what I want to do but dont know how to explain it :sorcerer:

Jonathan,

Top job mate,and your old mans painting, see what you mean about the suspension needs doing, car look great, needs some decals...... :sorcerer:

Are you keeping the wheels or getting wider ones!

Regards danny

A

I err, wha - oh, what he said ^

We're refurbing the mags ourselves, that 2pac paint is so tough, we've been using it as a filler as well :)