Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Turbocharger difference SE vs non SE - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Turbocharger difference SE vs non SE

Friends

Currently rebuilding my 89 non SE engine and is at the moment unsure of what to do with the turbo.

The engine has done 150' km and will be completely rebuilt. Just can not leave the turbo as it is. First thought was to have it refurbished/ rebuilt, next idea was to get a new one.

During this process have I discovered that there are different part numbers for the "turbocharger assemblies" to the SE and non SE.

According to the Lotus parts list 1988-92:

turbocharger assembly non c/cool part number A910E6889F

turbocharger assembly chargecooler part number A910E6959F

The actuator is identical for both turbos according to the list.

I am sure that a turbo from a SE will fit physical, but I am more concerned how it will do in operation. Any detailed knowledge out there?

Arne

89 non SE

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong, but I think some 89 NON-SE turbos did not have the water cooled center section.

So if you need need a water cooled center, then make sure it has it. And if your car doesn't have it, then you wouldn't be able to use the SE turbo. Unless you can rebuild it with your old center section

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Some confusion starting to creep in here. Chargecooling is not the same as watercooling the turbo.

Chargecooling is where the compressed air from the turbo is fed through a water jacket to have the heat drawn out of it to enable a greater volume of air to be fed to the inlet manifold, hopefully this will enhance overall performance.

Watercooling the turbo is purely a way of keeping the operating temperatures of the mechanical parts of the turbo to a reasonable level. The water jacket incorpoated in the turbo is fed via the engine cooling system and draws heat away from the rotating parts. It's purely a way of maintaining mechanical longevity.

• 1 month later...

I didn't see any difference between my original turbo and the SE turbo when I changed mine over to SE Specs. I've been playing with turbo cars for a decade and know how to spot differences. My suspicion is that Lotus just designated differences in the models of car they were for by the part number. The Non SE had a mechanical boost limit to 9.5psi, when I put on the SE turbo I had, it boosted to about 16psi at WOT and backed down to 14.7(1bar)

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm