Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rebuilding the Water Pump - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Rebuilding the Water Pump

Chris89turbo

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You also need a tool to set the seal, did JAE provide one for you?. If not you'll probably muck up the seal.

Tim Engel has an excellent write-up on the pump rebuild, email me direct if you'd like it. I sent you a PM.

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

Well, no I did not measure the distance out from the pulley mount... I just lined up the timing marks & pulled the belt & tensioner off... How big of an issue is this?

Jim - No, JAE did not provide me any special tool to rebuild the pump. I gave the core, the new bearing &

new seal to my mechanic who is taking it to his shop today to rebuild it... Does he have to have this tool for certain?

Chris

If you're using the seal that JAE provides, I don't know how you can set it without the tool and be assured that it will work properly. You might try calling Jeff to see if he has any suggestions.

1995 S4s

Not measuring the distance isn't a big issue, but getting it right is, I'll measure mine and post back on here). if you don't get it right the belt will run out of line and wear itself and the pulleys.

The "tool" is a piece of steel bar, slightly thinner for most of its length than the diameter of the bearing, slightly larger for approx 10mm at one end. It has a bore through the centre so that it can slide along the shaft. The wider end has a recess cut into it fro the seal to go in when it's pushed in.

The seal and "tool" may be in a bag together and simply look like one item (seal fits in the end of the tool), without it they would need to obtain / fabricate a suitable tool to press the seal in with, they may already have a suitable item.