Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Eclat restoration - Page 2 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Eclat restoration

What I don't understand is someone, who obviously appreciates the marque in the first place to buy the car, can let the car go to pieces as you found it.

Congratulations on your work. I would love to get my hands on an Eclat, not as bad as your one though. I know my limitations.

Edited by Roger 912

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roger, you should see the state of my Excel.

Since purchase I've had to replace the enigne (it was a replacement one but had issues).

Replace the differential as it whined very loudly

Replace the gearbox as it had been run dry of oil

connect up reverse light switch (they cut wires to enable engine swap)

Rip out carpets- still in progress, rotted, rust coloured and mouldy

Rip ot seats, broken fram, rotting due to water, ripped

Seal windscreen and rear window, both leaking

I've still got to repair then re-colour the leather as it ahs been damaged by long finger nails cutting into it near the steering wheel.

I have various alarm / immobiliser systems still in place but disconnected

The air filter was replaced by two Pipercross ones, not only does it get warm air instead of denser colder air, but it sounds as though it's knocking due to valve clatter coming through.

The list goes on.

That's the way some Eclats, Elites and Excels seem to be treated. Possibly because they are lower priced than an Esprit people buy them expecting to run them on the budget they could run a 10 year old Ford on.

What happens when a car is given personal plates, does the DVLA history on that plate end there?

Depends if it has any value. My Esprit was F56 UVT until i put the E2 PRT plate on it.

I sold Robert the car with the plate, when he took it off and sold the car it got it's

original F56 UVT back. But thats not guaranteed, as some plates have a value that

would see them retained by the DVLA. All they state is a valid plate for that year of

manufacture will be designated. If you wanted to keep the original then the only

way to be sure would be keep it on a retention certificate.

I always think it's a shame when you see an old classic that would have once had a

very short plate (eg: PC 72) that now wears a long modern one due to the car (eg

morris traveller) being worth about a tenth of its originally issued (and long sold off)

plate.

:)