Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
piston rings blocked - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

piston rings blocked

Efx

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Massimo,

I had exactly the same problem with my S2, I managed to get the car Mot'd and took the car for a few long runs and now it seems to be ok and runs really well. I tried starting and running the engine at home before being roadworthy, but until used on the road and run for a while, the blue smoke persisted. Try it on the road if you can and if that does'nt work try an additive, I nearly bought a bought another engine!

Chris

Hi Chris! Thanks for your info! Unfortunately at the moment I can 't use it on the street because

I haven't yet registered the car in Italy (it comes from UK) and will do the registration just all the repairs are finished, seems to me strange that there is some serious problem at my engine , because it is running really well, without blinking or anomal noise it is ready to start and very good sounding, short, looks like a good engine, unfortunately smokes ... I must say that the car was stopped several years and even before when it was in uk remained stopped for years I think ... I will do as you advise, look to any marginal work on the engine, fixing the gearbox, replacing all the pipes and change the oil

(a source of the problem might just be the oil because I don't know what's inside, is still the oil added from the old owner ...), but don't open the head, change the engine or some other radical job before

tested the car on the road

Edited by Efx

Hi Chris! Thanks for your info! Unfortunately at the moment I can 't use it on the street because

I haven't yet registered the car in Italy (it comes from UK) and will do the registration just all the repairs are finished, seems to me strange that there is some serious problem at my engine , because it is running really well, without blinking or anomal noise it is ready to start and very good sounding, short, looks like a good engine, unfortunately smokes ... I must say that the car was stopped several years and even before when it was in uk remained stopped for years I think ... I will do as you advise, look to any marginal work on the engine, fixing the gearbox, replacing all the pipes and change the oil

(a source of the problem might just be the oil because I don't know what's inside, is still the oil added from the old owner ...), but don't open the head, change the engine or some other radical job before

tested the car on the road

Massimo, if the engine has been untouched for so long you must replace the timing belt that drives the camshafts if you haven't already. It should be changed every 2 years whether the car has been run or not.

Is the smoke definitely coming from the exhaust? Often the cam cover on the exhaust side leaks oil onto the exhaust manifold and produces a lot of smoke when the exhaust gets hot.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

TAKE it to a garage and ask for a cylinder leakage test, they remove spark plugs and with engine at top dead centre and valves closed they put an air line into each cylinder in turn. if air comes out the exhaust you know the exhaust valve is not seating on that cylinder the same then goes for the air intake.

if the rings are not seating air will come out the oil filler. no engine is 100%, cant recall what is acceptable prob 90%?sorcerer.gif

regards

mick

Massimo, if the engine has been untouched for so long you must replace the timing belt that drives the camshafts if you haven't already. It should be changed every 2 years whether the car has been run or not.

Is the smoke definitely coming from the exhaust? Often the cam cover on the exhaust side leaks oil onto the exhaust manifold and produces a lot of smoke when the exhaust gets hot.

yes , sure, some work that urgently need my car is to change any rubber piece like hoses, belts, some o-ring et cetera, in fact the first step is to do an order at Sj of these parts, but regarding the smoke my car blow from exhaust end not from engine bay or manifold, I'm trying a product from Bardhal and seems blow less smoke , these product should improve the valve seal by returning elasticity on the orings and gaskets

TAKE it to a garage and ask for a cylinder leakage test, they remove spark plugs and with engine at top dead centre and valves closed they put an air line into each cylinder in turn. if air comes out the exhaust you know the exhaust valve is not seating on that cylinder the same then goes for the air intake.

if the rings are not seating air will come out the oil filler. no engine is 100%, cant recall what is acceptable prob 90%?sorcerer.gif

regards

mick

Thanks Mick this is a good check to do as a second step, unfortunately I haven't much knowlege to work on an engine, so just bring the car on workshop ,this can be one of the main verify to do...

90% is not badbounce.gif

Edited by Efx

on old or heavy rich running cars I put atf in the cylinders and let it sit over night,

next day I put back the plugs and spary galon of water in fine mist wile running at couple thousend rpm

throught the carbs or throtle and than change oil and filter,

on the fuel system I buy galon of toulene from paint stores with

4 ounces of mystery marvel oil in 10 galons of fuel run it till empty

and change the fuel filter

but 1st check all the rubbers like stated in above posts

good luck

Use an engine oil designed for diesels. The base oils are much the same but the additive package on the diesel engine oil has more detergent and dispersant and is therefore better at cleaning the engine. Learnt that one from a Gulf Oil Chemist. Run Gulf super diesel in a large fleet of vehicles for years after that and had no issues and on teardown the internals were always very clean internally.

Cheers

Ralph