Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
video - bedford june '08 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

video - bedford june '08

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the do-dad hanging beneath the aeroscreen to the left of the switch cluster - seems to have lots of wires going into it?

The "do-dad" (great term) is a DL1 Race Technology data logger, attached the the bulkhead (you can just see the top of the suction cup). The other garbage is a remote stop start that I built for the logger when I use it in the CSL (where the logger is placed on the back window). It has a nice bright blue LED to tell me it's logging, so I cable tied it to the bulk head. Wires then run to a 12v distribution system (fancy way for saying a 1 into 4 lighter socket convertor) stuck to the panel by the fire exstinguisher and the GPS sensor is velcroed on the bodywork just between the seats.

I'm working on connecting the logger to the ECU (the diagnostics port to plug it into is just under the bulkhead, above the gear lever, ie by my logger), a Dash 3 (Race Technology) to give me live metrics, and also a Video 4 (Race Technology), which records up to 4 cameras at once, onto flash, whilst overlaying data from the logger direct to the video in realtime.

Then I'm planning to take the car on a Moon mission... ;)

g

Sounds just the job (not Bibs controller) - would be interested to know if you suceed connecting to the ECU because that has all sorts of interesting data available to it.

One thing I would like is some kind of accurate fuel guage - can the DL1 monitor fuel usage (and is this available from the ECU or do you need a sperate sensor) and show as fuel consumed since last "reset" (so you reset the fuel used quantity back to zero each time you fill up).

Currently I get my lap times from the frame count on the video, but that is very tedious as it involves stepping through the footage and manually recording the time at each key point (I am currently using apex points of corners as these are easy to spot).

Edited by DEL211
Saving up for a sequential gearbox

One thing I would like is some kind of accurate fuel guage - can the DL1 monitor fuel usage (and is this available from the ECU or do you need a sperate sensor) and show as fuel consumed since last "reset" (so you reset the fuel used quantity back to zero each time you fill up).

Here you are: fuel rate sensor

bit pricey but the RT kit is excellent quality.

And, the data should be available from the ECU as well, but I suspect it's the fuel sloshing about in the tank that creates the problem on the 2-11, not the way the data is displayed on the dash, so the only accurate way would be with the rate sensor.

g

Edited by gavinp

Here you are: fuel rate sensor

bit pricey but the RT kit is excellent quality.

And, the data should be available from the ECU as well, but I suspect it's the fuel sloshing about in the tank that creates the problem on the 2-11, not the way the data is displayed on the dash, so the only accurate way would be with the rate sensor.

g

Thanks - it is indeed a bit pricey! I was rather hoping that rather than just providing the reading from the fuel tank level sensor, the ECU might provide information about how much fuel it was squirting into the engine (after all it does control this, through the mapping, throttle setting etc etc) which would be more accurate than any (affordable) after-market sensor.

Also back in the days when I got my hands dirty under the bonnet, fuel injection systems used to have a "high pressure return" link which returned fuel to the tank. this was used to prevent problems with the high pressure fuel pump during periods of no/small fuel flow (e.g. closed throttle overrun) as, in those days, high pressure pumps didn't enjoy very low flow rates. Not sure whether things have moved on - maybe modern systems also switch the pump on and off to alleviate this.

Perhaps one of the technical people know - I will put a post up in the technical section.

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

Do you get any hassles from the track day organisers about using it, considering they take a dim view of anyone caught timing their laps and always threaten to kick you off if you are caught using one saying if you really want to do that then get an ARDS licence and go to a test day. ( which funnily enough is actually cheaper than most track days)

P

Do you get any hassles from the track day organisers about using it, considering they take a dim view of anyone caught timing their laps and always threaten to kick you off if you are caught using one saying if you really want to do that then get an ARDS licence and go to a test day. ( which funnily enough is actually cheaper than most track days)

P

Nope, because (currently) there is no display. I think when they mean timing, what they don't want is people trying harder and harder to beat the clock, which drives the wrong kind of behaviour on a track day. The DL1 just logs, for consumption back home.

I have a Driftbox as well. Doesn't fit in the 2-11, but use it in the CSL. Now that does show lap times, and rate of drift (actually quite useful when aiming for that magic 5%), and gives you a score after each slide!

Re. testing - just purchased my MSA go racing kit for just that reason!

g

BTW, I posted the vid in High Def, so if it appears on your screen, hit the 'watch in high quality' button...

Nope, because (currently) there is no display. I think when they mean timing, what they don't want is people trying harder and harder to beat the clock, which drives the wrong kind of behaviour on a track day. The DL1 just logs, for consumption back home.

I have a Driftbox as well. Doesn't fit in the 2-11, but use it in the CSL. Now that does show lap times, and rate of drift (actually quite useful when aiming for that magic 5%), and gives you a score after each slide!

Re. testing - just purchased my MSA go racing kit for just that reason!

g

BTW, I posted the vid in High Def, so if it appears on your screen, hit the 'watch in high quality' button...

OK understand. I totally agree with your comment about timed laps. Track days are about having fun.

Best of luck with yr MSA licence. It's pretty easy to pass as they are not looking to see how fast you drive but that you drive smoothly and will not be a danger to others on the track.

Just remember when you go on your first test day none of the rules apply as on a track day. You can overtake either side and in corners. Can be pretty intimadating at first as there will be some pretty fast machinery (and drivers) out there.

P

Edited by pgn340r

Now that does show lap times, and rate of drift (actually quite useful when aiming for that magic 5%), and gives you a score after each slide!

Do you get 'Kudos' points?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.