Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Random Stalling... - 2-Eleven Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Random Stalling...

ads_green

Hi All,

Has anybody had any problems with their 211 stalling very very occasionally?

I've had two instances where I've been slowing down and at about 10mph drop the clutch to either change down or just to stop and as the revs come down they drop to far and the car stalls. It starts fine when you press the button but is kinda annoying when it happens.

I know there were issues with the first lot of 111r's stalling just wondering if it's related?

Ads

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah - mine's done it both hot and cold.

In fact one time was is stop / start traffic for the dartford tunnel (+stage 1 exhaust = big smiles) with the fan kicking in.

Lights off both occasions.

Only similarity is slowing down around 10mph and coasting. It doesn't settle to idle it just falls and falls then stalls.

it is quite odd though. Sometimes I've seen the revs drop to 500 odd ish and the engine recover just in time.

The only time I had something even remotely similar on the old k series elises was when the battery was very very low or empty and it seemded that the alternator drain could be enought to cause the stall. however mine had been running for over an hour so doubt it was that.

Just wonder if Lotus changed the rpm recovery point with the supercharger?

Oh well - will enquire when it's serviced.

You bought Scotts car Adam, did you not?

Just thinking where he works and all, maybe it would have been fixed, you know, if there was a fix type thing? :D

Yep - Scotts car.

He he - yeah I know. Wasn't sure if it was just me or not. Scott got the car prepp'd and serviced for when I picked it up so hoping that in 6 months time they'll be a magic fix :rolleyes:

• Gold FFM

Adam, sorry to hear of your woes!

The cars all do this especially during initial learn periods - No.21 did this regularly during initial running in, and much less frequently afterwards. In fact, 2145 miles of varying use around Spain in two weeks, and the car never did it once. When new, they have all done it; in / out of showrooms, after being driven - yours is not an isolated case.

The car is still ( just - 02.10.2008 ) covered by warranty, so we are happy to run a diagnostic - I think there's nothing wrong and perhaps it's a thought process within the map and data store - but I'm no tech! If the check lamp was on and it was happening at every junction / traffic light, then clearly there would be an issue.

Exige S - never seen it personally and I've had a few of these as company chariots; older cable throttle 111R's - always! There was a software upgrade for these early cabled cars.

Are you letting the ECM record before you switch off?

For diagnostic, call me @ work - or as you are not far, call Rowland in Lotus Sport, get an appointment and take it to it's maker!

I'd be more concerened about how clean it is..............

ATB,

Scott.

Its not dreadful - It's definately not doing it at every junction (only done it twice) and the engine light is definately not on.

I do let it record stuff - by the time I switch off, take crash helmet off, remove steering wheel, clamber out its well over 10 seconds!

Don't worry - it's still very shiney (was commented on at a East England BBQ on Saturday).

Already had a quick clean n polish/wax at the weekend :rolleyes:

I have it happen a few times as well so I guess it is TADTS although it has never happened on track for me, only on the road (and Scott did mention it when I picked the car up).

I don't do enough road miles on mine for it to be an issue but I guess you could always give a thottle blip on down changes and when coasting to a stop - useful toe and heel practice.

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

I don't do enough road miles on mine for it to be an issue but I guess you could always give a thottle blip on down changes and when coasting to a stop - useful toe and heel practice.

Figured out how to improve your lap times Derrick, you are obviously confused between double de-clutching and heel and toeing :rolleyes:

Figured out how to improve your lap times Derrick, you are obviously confused between double de-clutching and heel and toeing :rolleyes:

Yeah I have always had problems trying to get the left foot onto the throttle whilst the right foot is on the brake pedal - thank goodness for automatic gearboxes where you only have two pedals, one for each foot.

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

Yeah I have always had problems trying to get the left foot onto the throttle whilst the right foot is on the brake pedal - thank goodness for automatic gearboxes where you only have two pedals, one for each foot.

Well that's good for practicing left foot braking (or is that breaking) :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Sadly, this is a real genuine TADTS for once. The problem is a result of the relatively high volume of the intake system between the throttle body and the inlet ports in the cylinder head combined with the blocking effect of the supercharger. What happens is the engine senses that it is slowing down and opens the throttle slightly to help catch it before it stalls. The amount of throttle needed to catch it in time is dependant on the rate at which the engine is slowing down plus other factors such as air temperature, engine temperature, barometer and the like, but if we get the sums wrong and open the throttle too much the engine can flare back up again and the engine hunts around for a few seconds looking for an idle. Normally we can tune this out during the calibration process, but when the volume of the intake system is so large we then have to start predicting how much to open the throttle in order for the effect to be felt in time and that gets really hard with all the variables which can affect the result floating around..... In some circumstances where our prediction is a little off you can end up with either a bit of hunting or a stall out, and that's what's happening here. Not a whole lot we can do about it I'm afraid.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Well i've had my car for 6 days now & so far have absolutely loved it. Took it to Lake Bala yesterday took the scenic route through the mountains was truly awesome. However, this stalling issue for me is a real pain. It has stalled 3 times until yesterday, not bad you may think. But when I went out in it tonight it stallled no less than 5 times in the space of 15 mins. I had its after sales service done today & for some reason the stalling is ridiculous. Will have a word with the dealership in the morning. Hopefully they will be able to resolve the issue. After having waited 4.5 months & some almost