Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Mirrors? - 2-Eleven Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Mirrors?

abrussich

Now for the third question of the morning, side mirrors?

On the car I have the two side mirrors are not the vertical stalk types that were mounted on the introduction car. The two I have come off the side of the windscreen base and are tear drop shapped. Problem is that they move. One lap around the course and I have an excellent right and left view of the side of the car.

These do not have the small hole in the top for tightening. As such any speed over 25 and they start to move.

Help!

The fitting at the base of the mirror is a double ball and socket affair. First ball joint allows movement to a point, second takes it a bit further. When I push the mirror to it's furthest outward point on the drivers side, it slowly creeps back towards the car. Most annoying, especially in traffic.

Again,

Thanks from the new at this guy.

Al B.

Al

If you rotate the mirror body around on the ball socket, this will tighten the thing up. The only snag is the compromise between tightness and position - mine were at the stiffness I wanted when the mirror faced forward (not very helpful) so I had to go for slightly tighter than I really wanted.

Hope that helps

Del

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

Al,

Finally, someone also finds fault with the new (useless) mirrors. I don't think Lotus gave anymore thought to these mirrors than they did the original "stick" mirrors. I appreciate Del's comment, but that doesn't seem to solve the real problem. We all need to look for accessory replacement mirrors.

Bill

Well, I like the new mirrors - they are bigger, vibrate less and are much easier to adjust (no tools required).

They are a stock Yamaha motorbike part, so I guess the Lotus guys looked around the accessories market place given the original adverse comments about the "stick" mirrors.

Well, I like the new mirrors - they are bigger, vibrate less and are much easier to adjust (no tools required).

Have no real issues with the original mirrors personally and Del to adjust them I use those fingery looking things that stick out from the palm of my hand and just twirl the knurled nut.

No doubt there is some electronic thing with a DIN socket that can be used instead.

P :D

I use those fingery looking things that stick out from the palm of my hand and just twirl

Getting your hands dirty Paul, doesn't sound like you. Anyway, thought you would be too busy gesticulating at other drivers/race officials/spectators to be able to twirl :D

• 3 months later...

Im still using the initial launch stick mirrors. No problems either except for the same as mentioned above when you knock them yourself or someone does it for you....

What I have done though is to change the centre mirror out for a right-hand side mirror (the original stick type side mirror).

For a number of reasons really.

The original side mirrors are 30% wider than the centre mirror is and they are also convex, so changing it over for one instantly gives you a MUCH better rear view. I mean a real big difference!!

The original side mirrors also have a longer stem on them than the centre mirror does (they come supplied with the stem). If your a short arse like me I found that the original centre mirror was either looking down at the stiching in the head rests or was looking skywards for zeps. The extra length on the side mirror stem puts it cock-on perfect looking parallel down the boot lid and under the spoiler...

Finally the original center mirror stem attaches to the mirror in the center (funny enough), but ideally it needs to be offset to get the best view between the seats for the driver. The stems on the original side mirrors are offset for LH and RH which is what you want to give the best view back.

To summarize you end up with a bigger convex mirror which sits in a much better position..

Obviously the centre mirrors havent changed since production started so this is a mod everyone can do. (youll need a lh mirror for lhd car of course).

Ps . why does everyone keep the stupid black rubber around their mirrors, they were only ever put on to make the car pass sva??

Sorry, I'm missing something here. Why do you need mirrors?

Nick

ps: or is it to see the despair in the eyes of the guy you've just lapped?

Mainly for backing out of or off of the trailer. Sure would hate to run over all the admirers standing at the back gawking at the beauty of the 2-11.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

My driver side mirror has become loose at its base. Before I break something... can it be tightened without pulling off the side panel? Anyone has drawings/instructions?

Manny

Edited by 1418

Ads--Not the stick type --thanks

I'm thinking (this where things go south) I could drill a neat hole in the liner and get to the nut with a socket. I hate to do this but I also would hate to have to pull the side panel off--any other thoughts??

Edited by 1418

Hate to suggest the obvious, but could you not just phone your dealer and ask? Or take it to them? Or call/email Lotus Motorsport and ask them? I have no idea where you are based, so apologies if this is a dumb idea and not possible........

No- def. not a dumb idea and no need for apologies. Just asking on the forum as many times others experience the same issues.