Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Where is it legal in a 2-11 - 2-Eleven Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Where is it legal in a 2-11

de_futter@msn.com

From various posts on this forum, it seems that not everybody enjoys the privilege of being allowed to drive their 2-11 on the road.

Now obviously we can (with the SVA version) drive legally in the UK but it seems America, Portugal and Switzerland (as far as I can recall) don't have this.

The question is, in which countries is it legal to drive a 2-11 on the road?

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected but i think Scott is partly right. You can own one but not drive it legaly on the road. When your car has the legal papers and corresponding plates you can drive it through Europe with no problems.

The problem is the get the national papers in eg France. Here is where Europe gets silly...Allowed in the uk but not in France...

I bought my car on UK plates. After customs it will be changed with a km/h Tacho and LHD headlights. Then it has to pass a special SVA type controle. That should not be a problem as already 3 other 2-11 did this in Belgium as some Ariel Atoms who are in that view A LOT less safer then a 2-11. Then I can get the belgium plates and assurance.

Some say there is a trick to let the car on UK plates but then you need also a UK assurance, witch is expensive (!), an a permanent location in the UK.... Not so easy to keep it legal.

Bert

Edited by lotusbert

But Patrick, weren't you the one pointing out the problems trailering between US and Europe?

I had rather hoped that I could drive my UK registered 2-11 anywhere in Europe, so thanks for the confirmation. Odd that the local regulations differ so much despite the attempts of the eurocrats!

Just need the hi-visibility jacket in the car now so I can drive it in France!

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

In seriousness, the French have recently changed the law so that all occupants (I think it's 'all') must be able to get to their hi-vis while still in the car!

We do live in a hi-vis culture, did people really used to not been seen standing next to their broken down car and be killed? Wasn't the big 'car' enough for people to see?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Believe it or not, there are still some out there who can manage to hit said standing occupants, regardless of the size of the vehicle at hand.

Over here, cell phones, Starbucks coffee cups, lap tops, newspapers or other forms of reading material and who knows what else

are all to often distractions at hand. And often all at the same time!

Having a black Esprit and time on a motorcycle has made me very aware of these distractions over the years and I can say without hesitation that the trend is getting disturbingly worse as time goes forward.

I may consider a Bradley as my next family commuter vehicle.

But Patrick, weren't you the one pointing out the problems trailering between US and Europe?

Nope, not me.

I am the crazy one that sent his 2-Eleven around the world a few times :D

Mine, has spent more time at Hethel than anywhere else...

Edited by Patricko

Here are a few more ironies:

The warranty is voided as soon as the car is tracked. duh?!

The car is advertised and was shown at shows with headlights but cannot be sold that way in the U.S. Even if not allowed on the street, what about an endurance race that goes into the evening?

Dealers did not give any heads up on options, untill after the cars were sold. Options were then discovered with the chip loaded information.

note: thanks to the assistance of some on this forum that information was known a bit ahead of time.

The car is not allowed on the street, but comes equiped with rear working turn indicators. Which blink at twice the speed since there are no front ones to add to the load.

The car is set up for relatively tall drivers, but requires contortionist midgets to work on it. :D A friend once jokingly told a car show attendee, uneducated in anything Lotus, that the cars were built by Keebler elves. I think there is more truth to that then fiction.

Sorry for that last bit, but after spending two days in the effort to get the drivers seat out and back in, I could not refrain.