Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Front splitter dimensions - 2-Eleven Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Front splitter dimensions

Mr.Oz

Anybody measure the track splitter? I have been looking at photo's of other US spec 2-Elevens and the splitters appear to be larger than the one on my car. Maybe someone could get a measurement from the body to the front edge of the splitter? Thanks. :) I'll measure mine tonight.

Here is a pic of my car. I found a statement that the track splitter sticks out 4" more than the SVA splitter. It does not look like my splitter even sticks out 4" from the body. :(post-222-1234465236_thumb.jpg

Dan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boasting about just 5 inches, oh dear oh dear..... :lol:

The "long" front splitter is 50mm longer than the standard "short"splitter. If you are running the long splitter watch out for track contact at high speeds on undulating surfaces, you may need to increase front damper settings to keep her chin off the floor due to the downforce.

Nick

Oops, 50mm is nearasdammit 2" for our colonial friends.

Nick

I measured mine last night...sad to say only 3 inches :lol: 3inches from the center by the tow hook. Why would my car with the aero pack only have a 3" splitter? I have been reading about the tail happy nature of the 2-Eleven, I only have about 325 track miles on mine at just one track but I found the opposite to be true. I experienced push on a couple of corners, my Elise was much

more tail happy. I just attributed this to settings, new car and my lack of experience in the car. Could it be the splitter and was the wrong one installed at the factory??

Dan

Boasting about just 5 inches, oh dear oh dear..... :lol:

The "long" front splitter is 50mm longer than the standard "short"splitter. If you are running the long splitter watch out for track contact at high speeds on undulating surfaces, you may need to increase front damper settings to keep her chin off the floor due to the downforce.

Nick, any suggestions as a reference point regarding the front damper settings to prevent the splitter touching.

From the picture of the GT4 it appears to have a smaller front splitter, is that because of the different rear wing?

Paul

Edited by pgn340r

Hi All, taking the questions in turn, Mr Oz, your splitter is the standard length one , both from your measurement and the picture. Not sure how that happened, but put a call in to your dealer and get him to speak with LCU and we'll sort it out. I'll pre-warn LCU so they know it's coming. Sorry :lol: If it helps at all we are finding our test drivers are starting to prefer it with the shorter splitter now they have gotten used to the car, as you probably know we tend to like our cars with a little natural understeer as it is easier to drive the car on the limit that way. Nice to see you are paying attention by the way! :P

Damper wise, I would suggest increasing the front compression (bump) setting by 2 clicks and the rebound (jounce) by one as a starting point. Obviously as you increase the damping you will generally increase understeer, so keep an eye on the overall picture in case you end up creating more understeer than the long splitter removes in the first place! Don't be afraid to trim the splitter length down as an alternative, the lengths we have specified are those which give a neutral aerodynamic balance with the carbon rear wing in the median setting and the GRP wing in it's standard position, so it is quite possible that they will need to be adjusted to suit specific driving styles or tracks. A standard woodworkers router with a radius bit fitted does the job beautifully!

On the GT4 Supersports 2-Eleven at Dubai we ended up running a half way house 4" splitter as the long splitter was generating so much downforce on the long long downhill straight that it was contacting the track even before the driver hit the brakes. Stiffer damping wouldn't be able to help much due to the long period for which the load was applied and we were already running stiffer springs. We also found that we were losing some rear downforce due to the full FIA cage interfering with the airflow to the rear wing, so less downforce at the front helped to balance things up a bit with less drag losses than increasing the rear wing angle.

I don't have ramp data for Tamas, can someone run over a bit of string with a front tyre, pull it tight and in a straightline up to the leading edge of the front splitter and measure the angle for him?

Ta, Nick

Thank you so much for the info :P I just called my dealer and they are on it. I can switch back and forth between splitters to see what I prefer. This is great!! :lol: Now we just need some warm weather and the tracks to open up here.

Dan

Hi Nick,

My car has the aero rear wing and long front splitter fitted.

I will soon be taking it on track for the first time and it will be used as a track car.

Could you please advise me as to how you would set the car up as a "starting" set up for front and rear compression/rebound, anti roll bar and tyre pressures ?

I will leave the rear wing in the +5 degree position until I have spent enough time in the car to start adjusting the setup to driver preference.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know the car but would like to save the front splitter and have a neutral setup as a starting point.

Many thanks,

Lee.

Hi Lee, the standard settings as listed in the owners manual (look in your memory stick, there are hints and tips on the process of adjustment in there as well) are as good a starting point as any. You have to be driving pretty hard to start bashing the splitter, so I wouldn't worry about that at this stage. To some degree however you will have to view the splitter as sacrificial, they are always the most vunerable part of any race car and they only really work when they are close enough to the track to be easily damaged by kerbs, debris and track contact. That's why we have made it out of a high tech natural composite material (aka plywood! :lol: ), which is tough and cheap to replace. Although I'll get shot for saying it, I would expect many owners to make their own replacements at home....

Nick

Nick,

Can you tell us what coating is used on the splitter. Is it just a standard ratlle can paint or is it more of an epoxy based coating?

I don't anticipate having to replace the one on the car just yet, but I was planning on making a couple to have handy for when disaster next strikes.

FYI, Dave Simkins has called my Lotus dealer stating that he is sending a replacement splitter to them for my car. ?? I do not need one at this time and I think he may have me confused with the other gentleman in this discussion. Could you please pass this along. I explained this to my service tech when he called yesterday to let me know that Dave and the splitter were coming to Houston.

Thanks,

Al B.

Edited by abrussich

Hi Lee, the standard settings as listed in the owners manual (look in your memory stick, there are hints and tips on the process of adjustment in there as well) are as good a starting point as any.

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Thought you might say that !! The reason I asked is that the owners handbook and ride and handling info section both give settings that are slightly different :

Owners handbook - compression : front 11 rear 10

rebound : front 8 rear 12

Ride and handlind info - compression : front 8 rear 11

rebound : front 10 rear 12

I know that I probably wouldn't feel the difference but my friend is buying one now so I need all the advantage on track that I get, hence the diet ! :lol:

Well it's been 10 days since I first contacted my dealer about getting the proper splitter. :lol: I call every couple of days, they have no answer from Lotus. Are parts even available for the 2-Eleven? This is frustrating :P My first track event is just one month away!

Spoke to soon. Just got a call, it's handled :huh: Splitter is in Atlanta and I should have it middle of next week. A few e-mails from Nick Adams sped things along. Thanks Nick!!!

Dan

Nick please look away, you didn't see this post. Move along :lol:

Can you take a pic of the 2 spliters when they are getting canged over. I have the standard spliter but I am thinking about getting a friend to make a track size one in carbon. I would be interested to see if both leading front edges are the same shape?

Thanks

Scott

Edited by Scotty C

Here for a good time, not a long time

Nick please look away, you didn't see this post. Move along :lol:

Can you take a pic of the 2 spliters when they are getting canged over. I have the standard spliter but I am thinking about getting a friend to make a track size one in carbon. I would be interested to see if both leading front edges are the same shape?

Thanks

Scott

Scotty .

if you run the larger splitter without the rear wing won't that upset the handling balance. ( I am sure NIck will put me right on that)

Paul

I think what makes the rear wing not legal for road use is the fact that the end plates are razor sharp (i.e. just thin plates of sheet metal) and our namby-pamby rules indicate that a pedestrian might get hurt if they were hit by them (ignoring the fact they would have already had to go through the roll bar!)

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

I will have a rear wing?

Good.

I think the reason Lotus make the front splitter out of plywood is that it is considered a consumable item and are therefore relatively cheap to replace.

Most of the carbonfibre offerings that I have seen etc Reverie etc , whilst beautifully made, are in the