Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Q&A with the guru! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Q&A with the guru!

I'm at the factory tomorrow to sort out some things with ASO and I've some free time in the afternoon to meet up with Nick Adams.

Please post any questions for him below and we'll get the answers to all of your 2Eleven problems sorted out :wacko:

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

couple of points.

1) My gearbox 1900 miles is shredded ! yes I DO beat the syncro I am told, but my little 340r box is hammerd with 240bhp as well and has lasted 10 years ? I have had it rebuilt BUT I do not really want to keep doing it , 1900 miles !! Ideas, better box, comments welcomed.Surely the 211 box should not be this weak? I am NOT the only person to have the box rebuilt in very short time, it seems a little unfair that this is NOT a warrany job. a track day works the car FAR harder than any race weekend, you are welcome to come on ANY of the track days and see how the cars are put through there paces.

2) anyone got an engine, mine went pop at Donnington today, I am supposed be racing 17/18/19 and after a BIG rebuild from my littel accident the car looks amazing, handles stunningly ( thanks to GT4 suspension) and set up with Stephen and FSR. BUT I am in need of an engine, we have not got 100% to the bottom of the issue as yet or if we have it is in debate between a few people :wacko:

Any word on availability of the Hans approved seat replacements? Cost, availability ?

Any factory solution to the oil starvation when running slicks issue?

Other than that, having a great time beating up on the high horsepower corvettes, Vipers, Ford GT's, Porsches, and anything else that gets in the way. Please pass that along to Nick with a wicked poop eating grin.

Al B.

1. What is the availability of all of the products advertised in the Lotus Sport catalog? Pricing? Euros and US dollars.

2. Any consideration on volume discounts for "pre-production" Lotus Sport 2-Eleven accessory ordering?

3. Will Lotus ever make the 2-Eleven available "to order" with Lotus Sport options installed at the factory?

4. Is a different cylinder head (or engine) with direct injection being given any consideration? New type supercharger or

turbocharger?

5. Is the sequential gearbox the answer to the OEM box when used in higher hp engines or strictly for racing?

6. When will the Evora shed weight? Are there any plans for it to be available in a Porsche GT3 type variation?

7. When are you going to complete the 23 restoration? :wacko:

I got one of the first cars lucky 13 and have had a upgrade by Hanger 111 to 280bhp and all is fine with the gearbox, but it feels a bit loose. I however would like some info on the sequential box, when can I get one and how much?

Also I have the original mirrors and they are a real pain, is there a replacement that works

When can we have:

1) cheap (er) sequential box (10'000 euro's fitted...like on a beemer with a sadev)

2) factory fitted larger fuel tank (50l)

3) center bolt for wheels

4) non-moving driver seat mounts...

5) 100 kgs less weight

6) 435 hp (just to annoy porsche and ktm)

Hello Nick, it's a while since we met.

I had a S1 111S, and had the Turbotechnics supercharger fitted which worked very well. Eventually I moved on to other cars (TVR and now a Ferrari). But I was blown away by the 211 when I saw it at the MPH show, and came up to Hethel to drive it. I was very impressed by everything except the lack of shove in the back. It handles brilliantly well, the boggo brakes are fine, the seats are great, and there's a great sense of fun about it but when you're paying a lot of money for something with no doors or windscreen you do want it to feel incredibly quick, and it didn't. Hence with some disappointment I never bought it.

Later on last year I hired one at Spa (from Stephen Docherty of Track Club - good man). It was better than I remembered, but still felt underpowered. Once you get above 100 mph it takes a very long time to get to 140.

So the question is: is there going to be more power and/or less weight any time soon? Is it even possible? I appreciate that the 211 is in fact one very quick car and puts in excellent lap times - some tests have it quicker than the R500 and Atom - but it doesn't actually FEEL all that quick. At least, not to me! Obviously you can hoon it around and pull G forces etc but that's not what I mean.

NB I would describe myself as trackday enthusiast, and probably about average among people who do lots of them. I do have my National B licence but haven't got around to racing.

Douglas Campbell

Hi Nick

My main concern here in Kuwait is taking care of the car. My family was the lotus dealer back in the day and currently is the Toyota dealer. What i need is the detailed service manual (dealer manual) to understand the services required and how to go about doing them. Is it at all possible to either get a copy or have a copy sent to the ex dealer?

Does lotus have or planning on selling a packaged data logger system that is somewhat plug and play showing fuel pressure, oil pressure ...etc.

Where can i source slicks for the car and what brand/size do you know of that works with the 211 and what modification are needed if installed?

Thanks in advance

Not much to say that i think this is one of the best vehicles for driving anywhere but in the rain. If only km's didn't stack up as quickly as birthdays do in life .........

Always wanted to ask Lotus directly but not had the chance. Would Lotus ever consider building a 2-11 / similar but with a 3.5L unit or similar - i for one would love a Lotus, open, without it being so easy to completely have the pedal literally to the metal often .......

Apart from that this is the one of the best.

The 211 is my fifth Lotus, the 2nd new one.

Would have got a solar yellow Elise S in addition, but thanx to the liquidation of DreamMachines and the non help of Lotus nothing happens. For me an 2 other german Lotus enthusiasts it means a loss of altogether 68 grant.

So here is my question

1) when will i get the money back from DreamMachines

2) why did Lotus Cars not intervene

kind regards

Gilles

Gilles

We've had this conversation on seloc. It is very sad that you have lost your money, but unfortunately you were the victim of poor practice at Dream Machines, not Lotus. They (DM) should never have taken your money - according to the statement made by London Lotus they were no longer Lotus dealers at the point they took it. They are now liquidated - I imagine you have spoken to the receivers? You will be entitled to make a claim and will possibly receive a small amount in each pound that you paid. I personally would also be looking to take legal action against the directors of Dream Machines, but that's just me.

Lotus would never have received the money that you paid either I imagine, whch is why no cars would have been supplied.

Your best recourse is now with legal action.

Regards

Jo

(Stephanie Plum on seloc).

couple of points.

1) My gearbox 1900 miles is shredded ! yes I DO beat the syncro I am told, but my little 340r box is hammerd with 240bhp as well and has lasted 10 years ? I have had it rebuilt BUT I do not really want to keep doing it , 1900 miles !! Ideas, better box, comments welcomed.Surely the 211 box should not be this weak? I am NOT the only person to have the box rebuilt in very short time, it seems a little unfair that this is NOT a warrany job. a track day works the car FAR harder than any race weekend, you are welcome to come on ANY of the track days and see how the cars are put through there paces.

2) anyone got an engine, mine went pop at Donnington today, I am supposed be racing 17/18/19 and after a BIG rebuild from my littel accident the car looks amazing, handles stunningly ( thanks to GT4 suspension) and set up with Stephen and FSR. BUT I am in need of an engine, we have not got 100% to the bottom of the issue as yet or if we have it is in debate between a few people :wacko:

Graham, Paul Bateman here, hope to see you soon. Gavin Kirby did tell me he bought a few engines, try him. Many regards.

I nearly ran out of fuel at donnington yesterday. There were two bars left on the fuel guage but got starvation. When I got into the pit and turned off the car and turned on the ignition it was empty. Why would this be and is there something wrong with it. If its okay then can i get a more accurate guage?

Matt

Hello Nick, Paul here,

Bedding the big brakes in at Goodwood yesterday(thank Louie for his advice) and testing out the 260 upgrade. Second session, light breeze behind on the Lavant straight pulling over 8000 in 5th and still going(140+). Fantastic never seen more than 135, so as an experiment i took all the rear wing off(horizontal, i,ve drilled holes to make my standard wing adjustable) . Just the same speed so i put the wing back to original. After that and the rest of the day the top speed reverted to 130/135(the wind actually increased ) and so i was rather puzzled and i feel confident i,m exiting lavant corner consistently.

Is it possible the remap has been lost or is it atmospherics, temp,... surely not me!

PS. My final lap time of 1.25 is the same as last year.

I nearly ran out of fuel at donnington yesterday. There were two bars left on the fuel guage but got starvation. When I got into the pit and turned off the car and turned on the ignition it was empty. Why would this be and is there something wrong with it. If its okay then can i get a more accurate guage?

Matt

I have to second Matt's comment. Had not thought about it untill reading it. I've noticed the same issue with the fuel gauge. Running out on the track the fuel gauge will show more gas than there really is, still in the tank. Shut the car off, and suddenly the gas level is considerably lower.

What is caising the "hang-up" or glitch in the reading? Is the only solution to fill up after every run regardless of what may be showing?

Will the replacement FIA fuel cell tank produce the same results?

This is of some concern as I hope to be running the car actively in SCCA competition in 2010.

Al B.

Is the only solution to fill up after every run regardless of what may be showing?

I use the trip mileage - I know I get 88 miles out of a full tank and 40 miles from a 20 litre jerry can. Easy enough to judge if I have enough fuel for the next run before setting off.

Sorry - not trying to be a GURU :wacko:

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

I use the trip mileage - I know I get 88 miles out of a full tank and 40 miles from a 20 litre jerry can. Easy enough to judge if I have enough fuel for the next run before setting off.

Sorry - not trying to be a GURU :wacko:

88 miles per tank - you are not trying hard enough - start flat shifting :wub:

Paul

another thing, my rear number plate start to melt after a while due to it being so close to the exhaust. Should there be some sort of heat barrier?

thanks

Matt

3rd both Matt's and Al's comments. Also would like to see a decent instrument binnacle.

Paul

Bibs -- 1) Please give Nick my thanks for making the 2Eleven a reality. :wacko:

2) My questions for Nick -- (i) Are the d/a Ohlins on the 2Eleven valved the same as the Ohlins that were fitted to the Cup255?

(ii) Also, I noticed that the front spring rates were the same, but the rear springs on the 2Eleven are ~ 29 pounds (105 vs 100 nm) heavier than the Cup rear springs. Was

this necessary because of the greater rear downforce of the 2Eleven even though it's a much lighter car?

I left for Lotus at 6.30am and just arrived home so any questions after that time were missed I'm afraid.

I'd like to thank Nick for his time today, we had an excellent session and I'll be typing up the answers over the next couple of days :wacko:

Nick has also asked me to pass on his thanks to you guys who enquired after his health recently and sent him your best wishes and also wanted to thank you all for your support with the 2Eleven and your help making the car the success that it is. :wub:

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Matt

Matt, I think we spoke at Donny (if it was about the tyre pressure monitor).

I have this issue almost every track day, and it has been discussed a lot on here. Nothing you can do about it other than getting an expensive bag tank.

The way it normally pans out for me is I'll get starvation - I then slow down and pit - the bars drop to nothing (empty) and then luckily I've had just enough fumes to get fuel. If I remember I basically just keep the tank as full as I can, but it is a pain filling up 5 times a day, as I did at Donny Tues.

And, like Del, I know it's about 80 miles on the track per tank.

g

Edited by gavinp