Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Which tyres are you guys using on the track - 2-Eleven Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Which tyres are you guys using on the track

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember the 2Eleven only has a tyre loading of 150kgs per front wheel so make sure any alternatives are compatible. The LTS ones as you know as specifically designed for that weight.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I am still on the set that came with the car and so far am happy with them. Will probally stick with them unless I go to slicks.

The A048's seem to do quite well so far but tire wear is starting to show up rather quickly. It seems that the 2-11 A048's are even softer than what comes standard on the Elise/Exige models. Unless that's my slip and slide technique at play. :wacko:

A lot of the guys in my area have switched to the Toyo R888's for their street cars and also use them on the track. They seem to have a better wear rate and those guys are happy with the performance. They are also priced better than the A048's and seem to be in better supply.

Present plan for the 201 season will be to have a set of rains, and either a set of slicks or A048's, to be replaced as reqiured.

I like the way the 48's feel and am comfortable with the level of "stickiness" they seem to provide. And as long as the sponsor is paying for them......

Bibs that is not correct but I see where you are coming from.

The A048 LTS was designed for the Elise/Exige and they are a bit heavier.

Having said all of that you could ask Nick what he thinks.

The first cars with A48's as standard were the S2 190 (which I had) and S2 135R with the S1 cars used the A39's instead. Both S2 cars are a similar weight to the 211 so unless the LTS compound has changed I would say that they are perfect for the 211 and slightly worse on the heavier toyota cars.

Edit: just re-read Bib's old post. It looks like that Lotus use normal (harder) A048's on the Toyota Elise/Exige and use the older LTS ones for the 211.

Edited by ads_green

The first cars with A48's as standard were the S2 190 (which I had) and S2 135R with the S1 cars used the A39's instead. Both S2 cars are a similar weight to the 211 so unless the LTS compound has changed I would say that they are perfect for the 211 and slightly worse on the heavier toyota cars.

Edit: just re-read Bib's old post. It looks like that Lotus use normal (harder) A048's on the Toyota Elise/Exige and use the older LTS ones for the 211.

I did not know they used the A048 on the Rover cars.

All A048s on Elise, Exige & 2-Eleven are and have always been LTS versions in the USA.

I stand corrected, I must have misunderstood. They are the same tyres.

When you do pick alternatives, make sure you find the softest compound you can for your 2Eleven. Due to the very low weight on the front wheels any normal compound tyre will struggle to get any heat in them.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I've just replaced the original set of A048's with R888's (after 1100 miles - I had hoped to fit Yoko slicks but have had trouble finding a set in the US right now). Was supposed to break them in at Laguna on Tuesday but it was seriously pissing down so drove the Elise instead (on which I also run the Toyos). As has been extensively noted the Toyos appear significantly more durable than A048's. Side walls are stiffer and tolerate lower pressures. Will report back once I have some comparative 2-Eleven experience.

• 5 months later...

The original A048's are now officially toast, shot, finished. 695 miles of track use and they look like a set of abused slicks, especially the rears. Yeah I am still working on my tire conservation technique. Going through the sweepers somewhat sideways does wear them down a bit.

Finding A048's is a bit tricky. The standard tire discounters don't list both sizes and the slicks as shown in the 2-11 parts catalog from Lotus lists sizes that don't appear anywhere.

Nick, if you are up and about, where can we get the Yoki slicks as listed in the Lotus Sports catalog? Or tires as were used on the GT4 race car?

Al B.

Hey Al,

Here's the link for Woodman tires ... http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/bwttires.php

SO1 and SO4 are the compounds that are available that are not

proprietary to Lotus .... SO1 is softer than SO4

The Lotus sizes that you want are: front : 190/580 R16; rear:

230/625 R17

I'm running the SO1's. Have the car realigned for slicks. These tires transform the car, you will love it. :)

Dan

I'm running Dunlop Formula Direzza O3G, for me these work far better than the A048 because there working when cold ie the first corner!! The A048's require some temperature for them to come up to speed (no pun intended). For hill climes Im running sticky Hooziers - slicks with three grooves, and they are road legal here..well sort of officer.

• 9 months later...

Which Hoozier are you running? I tried to see if they had the correct tire sizes and could not come up with a match. Did you choose a closest size and then adjust the suspension to suit?

Al

Hi

I purchased the car from Kiwi 2-11 .

Tyres used are:

245/40ZR17

205/45ZR 16

Sports Car D.O.T Radial

I have found them to be excellent , but have not used the Yokohama slicks , so unable to compare .