Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
question about the oil pressure reading - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

question about the oil pressure reading

esprithk

oh...I want to ask about the oil pressure reading on a SE Turbo car.

(the meter is on the left of the dash, next to the oil temperature meter)

I notice my motor oil is running fine at 76-78 degree all the time (assuming the meter has no error)

then I read the motor oil pressure meter. I first thought this was the oil level...and it made me to have a nervous breakdown, as this meter's needle is always low (just above the red warning area).

but everytime I accelerate, the meter move up....but never pass the 50% line...(max is listed as "1")

Worst yet, I just bought my car and not yet filled up the gasoline...and I was stuck in serious traffic jam!!! (I really mean SERIOUS)....I was in the same location for 5 minutes without moving more than 20meters...**and both the bloody oil meter (still assuming it's the oil level)..and the petrol are running very low....

I kept thinking I am going to burn up motor oil (and burn the engine) or run out of petrol in the middle of a traffic jam..which would not be a good image of me and the car.

I finally remebered there is a gas station in the coming left turn, so I quickly moved from the right lane to the far left lane and pulled up to the gas station.

I filled up the petrol (costed me US$90 **HK petrol price is US$1.80 per liter or US$6.84 per gallon) and bought a bottle (4L) of Mobil 1 motor oil....

took the handbook out and read about checking engine oil....ok, the dipstick reads H/L = 0.85liter

so I read the dipstick after few minutes of resting. it's 50% full, so I filled up 0.45 liter...

but even after I filled up the motor oil correctly, I noticed the oil "level" meter is still staying low, but going up whenever I accelerate...so I started to think this may not be about level but about pressure.

I called the ex-owner and confirmed that it's reading correctly. (and it's an oil pressure meter only)

I read the handbook again, yes...it is an oil pressure meter.

but I still have 2 questions...

is it normal for the needle to stay just the white line above the red warning area?

is it normal that no matter how I accelerate, the meter never passes 50% ?

thx!

Edited by esprithk

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar problem during the Summer here in the UK. Red oil light kept coming on at each 'take off'.

Have a read.

Oil Pressure Issues

In short the VDO Pressure gauge shows RED from 0 to 1 bar. The Lotus manual states that Oil pressure should be above 0.35 bar. <_< which is well into the red.

Anyway used a thicker oil (if that's the word) and problem was solved.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

For an SE I think I recall manual states that 20-50w be used.

Most use 10-50w mobil

I prefer 5-50w Castrol syntec because of the colder weather in MN.

When I switched to the 5-50w it leaked around some gaskets and then after a while the leaks stopped (My po used Castrol GTX 20-50w). After a the oil warms up the oil will switch to 50w. mine used to drop inbetween the 1st and 2nd white line on the left and run about middle of gauge at speed. It's normal.

oh...thx

becuase the situation yesterday was an immediate issue that needed to be solved immediately.

so I just grab a bottle of Mobile 1 (5W/50)

ok..I will arrange a proper service to change motor oil as soon as possible! (to 20W/50)

thx for the help!

Edited by esprithk

the result is quite good so far (in a 20minutes drive after the oil change service)

the oil pressure meter stays between the 1st and 2nd white line...(oh, I just notice the max. reading no. is 7, not 1)

I will do more testing, and then switch to other engine oil to compare results.

the whole test may take 9months (3 months test period per engine oil)

• 4 weeks later...

ok...did 300km with the Castrol 10W/60 oil...

it may be too rich for HK weather (now is 17 degree, dry season)

first, I notice the oil temperature is hard to get above 60 degree

I notice the oil pump is not dropping the pressure even when I am not moving (staying at reading "4" most of the time)

when I give gas, it goes up to "5" (never pass "5")

after the oil heats long enough to be above 60degree, then the oil pump is acting normal, staying "2" (and when I give gas, it goes up to between "4" and "5")

I will try to use Mobile 15W/40 in my next service of changing all suspensions. (I just found out the rear shocks are busted...that's why the ride was so rough...plus, the rear tires are set lower than the front....so the car is looking odd)

I had tried to re-adjust the height of the rear suspensions and found out one of them is not working.

ok...did 300km with the Castrol 10W/60 oil...

it may be too rich for HK weather (now is 17 degree, dry season)

first, I notice the oil temperature is hard to get above 60 degree

I notice the oil pump is not dropping the pressure even when I am not moving (staying at reading "4" most of the time)

when I give gas, it goes up to "5" (never pass "5")

after the oil heats long enough to be above 60degree, then the oil pump is acting normal, staying "2" (and when I give gas, it goes up to between "4" and "5")

I will try to use Mobile 15W/40 in my next service of changing all suspensions. (I just found out the rear shocks are busted...that's why the ride was so rough...plus, the rear tires are set lower than the front....so the car is looking odd)

I had tried to re-adjust the height of the rear suspensions and found out one of them is not working.