Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gearbox Option - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Gearbox Option

Whilst i only had a short comparison, the accelleration 3rd/4th was a bit sharper with the sports gearbox.

I also tried putting the foot down in 5th and 6th from around 60/70mph - again the sports box was noticably a bit more responsive.

The standard box allow you to be a bit more lazy.

I think 3rd gear in the sports box is definately my favorite.

Beady, can you comment on the feel of the two gearboxes? Do they both "feel" the same as far as throw and solidity and all that? I see some that complain about the gearshift in the Evora being awful, and some saying it's great. Although everyone has their own opinion (I thought the sports box felt great), I am trying to decide if the haters are using the standard box and the lovers are using the CR box, or if it's all just down to opinion.

So then, did they both feel identical as far as throwing the knob around?

2011 Lotus Evora 2+2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed a big difference in Gearbox 'feel' comparing the launch edition demo car at Bell & Colvill and a 2010 car. The LE car seemed to be a little unsure when engaging gears, whereas the newer car had the familiar clunk that I associate with my Elise. This may have been the difference between normal and close ratio box, or maybe it's just an update to the shift mechanism.

I also can't say whether this is all LE cars as I've only driven that one. Best thing to do is go and try one and see if you like it.

Hegg

it was quite a while ago now so i cant really remember the 'feel' of the 2 boxes

I have now done 6,000 miles on the car (CR box).

The gearbox feels fine and i have not experienced any problems with it at all, nor had any issues of crunching etc.

If you will spend a lot of time on motorways then the standard box is probably better as it revs about 600rpm lower in top gear at motorway cruising sppeds.

Having said that, i have done 200 mile+ trips and have never found the engine to be too noisey (with the CR)

Economy is also quite a lot lower on the CR box (when compared with lotus stated figures for the standard box).

You will lose 5mpg at least i would say.

Prior to purchase, i also spoke to lotus staff and technicians and their own personal views was generally that the CR box was a must.

If you consider the Evora a sports car then i think it should have the CR box. Otherwise it is more of a GT car.

good luck

construction and property consultants : My company

Thanks for the replies. I've only driven the CR gearbox so far - would just like to compare before deciding for sure. The CR gear change did feel just like Elise as well - solid and "snicky".

Time to go fly out of town and find a standard car I suppose. :)

2011 Lotus Evora 2+2