Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Towing car in rain - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Towing car in rain

gdr

If going for an RS3, I strongly recommend getting the longer (2m) ramps as ground clearance is not great on the 2-11 (especially with the track splitter on the front). Also I have found the electric winch useful (when I binned the car).

Don't forget that you will need to reverse the 2-11 onto the trailer to keep the c of g in front of the rear axle (i.e. the bulk of the weight must be in front of rear trailer axle). I have found that with the track splitter on the front, this needs to be as near to the rear of the trailer as possible (just in front of trailer door shut line) to give very stable towing.

I have also fitted a rear view camera at the back of the trailer to eliminate the huge blind spot where small cars and motorcycles like to hide and to act as a parking aid - it really is a distinct improvement.

i have an RS3 with a tyre rack (purpose made ) by Brian James

With the exta weight of the second wheel set I can load the car with the engine at the rear and having a 110kg nose weight it is perfect

I m feeling more confident when in a Hotel for the night + when it is raining it is realy easy to ride the car on.

dscn0402r.th.jpg

img00138201002131103.th.jpg

img00137201002131102.th.jpg

img00136201002131102.th.jpg

Regards

Tam

If going for an RS3, I strongly recommend getting the longer (2m) ramps as ground clearance is not great on the 2-11 (especially with the track splitter on the front). Also I have found the electric winch useful (when I binned the car).

Don't forget that you will need to reverse the 2-11 onto the trailer to keep the c of g in front of the rear axle (i.e. the bulk of the weight must be in front of rear trailer axle). I have found that with the track splitter on the front, this needs to be as near to the rear of the trailer as possible (just in front of trailer door shut line) to give very stable towing.

I have also fitted a rear view camera at the back of the trailer to eliminate the huge blind spot where small cars and motorcycles like to hide and to act as a parking aid - it really is a distinct improvement.

Hi Dell

May I ask you what kind of camera did you fix at the rear ?

I was looking for the same solution.

Does the wireless system work.

I took the 250 cm ramps and it is perfect.

regards

Tam

• 1 month later...

Apologies for delay responding Tam, missed your post somehow.

I have got an RC07 reversing camera system (wired) which works very well. Has infrared illuminators for night use and colour for daytime. The control box fits snugly under the passenger seat and I only deploy the 7" monitor when the trailer is attached. Comes with long cable and a plug and socket about midway along so easy to arrange for that to be at front of trailer. Connector has waterproof housing as well so all very simple to fit.

I got mine from www.in21now.co.uk ( http://www.in21now.co.uk/acatalog/RearViewCameras.html ) but you may find a more convenient supplier

• Like 1
Saving up for a sequential gearbox

• 2 months later...

My cheap solution for towing in rain...

I can't recommend it, doing this every weekend, but 2 times a year it isn't any problem.

You need:

• packaging foil (elastic)
  • some tape
  • right wrap-technique*
  • 20min

*4 layers side by side front to rear (only one layer thick) / go around to fix the ends, couple times / important to cross once left rear to right front and opposite / don't wrap the mirrors / fix it with tape, that the tape pulls up the wrap on the sides a little...

I can't promise that it works every time, but it worked well in Hockenheim - just a question of the right technique.

post-8154-094605500 1276278134.jpg