Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Spax Rear Dampers for S1 and S2 Esprit - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Spax Rear Dampers for S1 and S2 Esprit

In the excitment of putting new, adjustable height and pressure rear dampers on my modified 1979 S2 Esprit, I failed to verify which chassis was pinned under my auto (why would I need to do this?). Apparently, the prior owner upgraded the chassis to a 1986 Turbo version so my G853 dampers do not fit.

If anyone is interested, my brand new in box SPAX G853 S1-S2 (all models-1975-1980, excl. Turbo) fully adjustable rear dampers are available at a huge discount to US dealer prices (US only). The dealer who sold me the units would not let me return them because the return period lapsed... (got to love that customer service!). Just PM me if you are interested.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a pair of NOS S1/S2 dampers off fleebay. RD & JAE were quoting about $475ish for a pair of Spax rear dampers. Interested to know what you got your set for?

Gavin.

Gavin,

Yes, JAE quoted me $258 each ($516 for the pair) without freight or tax. Perhaps your quote was for the SPAX dampers that are not ride height adjustable? By ordering them direct from the UK, I ended up saving $43. The freight cost was $148 but a $43 savings is a savings nonetheless. In hindsight, because of my dilemma, I should have just ordered them stateside...

I think $526 was more like it from JAE & RD was $475. Not sure if they were the same shock but both were SPAX. I ended up paying $142 for the pair of NOS units. Agree on saving as much as you can whenever possible. When I purchased new mounting hardware for my exhaust manifold (studs,nuts, washers,gaskets) I saved over $100 by buying from the UK verses buying stateside, and that included the shipping.

I feel I have to put in my $.02. I think SPAX quality can be hit or miss. Years ago I bought a set all around for my S2 and found the fronts had almost no jounce damping (only rebound) compared to stock Armstrongs) They bottomed out and rode very harsh, no matter the adjustment The rears seemed OK. I evetually removed them and went back to the Armstrongs (still good ride after all these years and the SPAX are collecting dust someplace around the house) I also have a set of Monroes on hand (spec'd Armstrong recommended replacements) for the front that have the same Armstrong damping feel for when my originals go south.

I realize YMMV and there are people that swear by them (if you get a good set). Be sure to check your purchase out ASAP and don't wait too long like I did to find out before install. (try pushing in and out by hand upon arrival....my fronts could compress with little effort.)

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Bob,

Like you, my rear Armstrongs are still fine. I see no reason to change them at this moment. I did speak with you at breakfast a while ago about trying your Spax. My fronts were changed to Spax last year. The originals were dead, dead, dead. I had the opposite problem. Could not compress them no matter how hard I tried. The adjustment screws do nothing. Spoke with Jeff of JAE at the West Coast Lotus Meet. He thinks I'm not adjusting them properly. Have to wait till next year. Cars in storage now. Thanks for the lead to this forum.

Lyn

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Bob, not sure why you quoted me as I didn't buy Spax for mine. I purchased a pair of rear NOS Lotus shocks off ebay, Armstrong I believe they are. Unless you quoted me for the prices from JAE & RD.

How easy should the Armstrongs be to push in and pull out? I ask because the ones I got from off ebay don't seem to offer a huge amount of resistance. No signs of leakage.

Regards

Gavin

Edited by GavinT

Hi Gavin,

I wasn't replying to you specifically but just commenting on the subject of SPAX and warning anyone buying then to check out their purchase ASAP on arrival. (quality control statement)

In the end (for me) I gained nothing over the original Lotus spec'd Armstrongs (I thought I might gain something with the adjustment and could play for the optimum settings,

but I'm quite happy with the stock non-adjustable Armstrongs.) I'm sure there are many people doing just fine with SPAX if they get good ones, I'm just not impressed with their quality control and in the end I spent a lot and gained nothing. As for the Armstrong replacements that I have handy in boxes to check (black with a blue Armstrong label vs the OEM blue ones that came on the car), The compression (jounce) is definitely easier to do by hand vs the extension (which is very stiff) but my SPAX had NO compression resistance and the adjustment screw only seemed to affect the extension(rebound) rate and did nothing on compression. I don't have a shock dyno to give definitive numbers, but there is definitely some compression resistance to help the springs when hitting a bump.. My SPAX instantly bottomed out on potholes. I was told these newer black Armstrongs were actually made by Monroe, but have no proof. The stamped number into the metal does reflect a lotus part (A079C2012F). I got 'em handy on the shelf for when the blue ones eventually leak.

Edited by USAndretti42
Please stop quoting the previous post

Hi Bob

Do you recall where you purchased the Armstrong shocks from? please post if you do. PO on my car fitted SPAX up front & they are starting to squeak rather badly. I think I would like to replace them with the Armstrongs if I can find them, whilst I await the new Lotus reworked setup.

Many thanks

Gavin

Hi Gavin. I've had them for years and believe I got the from R.D. at the time.

As for the new suspension: For me, if I was going to spend the money I'd want Lotus to also add the bits that Claudius has fabricated (to replicate S3/Turbo rear suspension along with

better brakes and Turbo motor mounts) The OEM brakes are seriously lacking after a few hot laps on the track (even with Hi Temp brake fluid) and are the weakest link that should be conquered first IMHO.

-Bob

Edited by comem47

Bob,

Thanks for your input on Spax dampers. Your vigilance in checking for out of spec dampers really applies to all products we consider for purchase. I have personally have problems with KYB shocks (another application) and Armstrongs on an 86' Turbo I owned in the past, leaking and squeaking after less than a year of use. However, I understand that opinions and experiences on a message board are anecdotal at best and weigh them accordingly.

Fortunately, all the dampers I received appear to be in top form and had resistance upon compression (compressible with some muscle as designed). Going to fully adjustable units was definitely the right choice because I control the ride characteristics and height. Now that I have Spax dampers all around on my Esprit, the ride and look is incredible and I could not be happier with the Spax units. I suppose I will have to check-in a few years from now for my long-term opinion.

I have business in the UK in early spring and have arranged to return the S1-S2 units at that time if I do not sell them first. The freight and restocking fee combined would have killed me. If there is interest, I will have the fully adjustable rears until that time at a steep discount to U.S. prices...

Bob,

I just noticed your reply mentioning Lotus PBC. I'm not sure where you are located... but the Claudius family services my vehicle. Your promotion of their products and services and knowledge of their specific services is a welcome addition to this thread.

Currently, they are working on a very special early Esprit for a wealthy client and have installed Spax fully adjustable dampers on all four corners. If you live nearby

Edited by mywedge

Alex,

I live across country from Lotus PBC (I'm in upstate NY) and only know about the products by other people referring to them and by visiting the web site. So in the end I can't speak either for or against but will say the products that have been developed answer a need.

I think the idea of an S3 type suspension with softer motor mounts would address the NVH issues of S1/S2 while giving better handling and durability. (Lotus evolved that way for a reason despite the increased cost).Better brakes all around is also a sore need (I easily boiled mine when I used to do track days despite hi-temp fluid and purging) So I think Lotus PBC has answered a need. I believe substantial improvement to S1/S2 should not just be new coils/dampers , but also include the bits mentioned. (supplied by them or Lotus PBC). I guess also included would be modern wheels/tires (a spacer kit). As "High performance" and "14 inch tires" are hardly synonymous, not to mention being hard to obtain. I only state this as I've heard Lotus has considered the whole package in the past (sidewall flex as part of spring rate, etc) when tuning their suspensions. As good as the S1/S2 Esprits were for the 70's they are far behind in today's tech of tires/wheels/suspension/brakes. (one thing about 14" is they are better for potholes. Don't know what 18" would be like ;-)

-Bob

Edited by comem47