Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
which V8 Esprit is most reliable? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

which V8 Esprit is most reliable?

Guest mkelite

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David,

Dont own a v8 but think i can answer soem of your questions.

Biggest difference between the early and late is the interior, in particular the Binacle. This is much smaller and neater on the later ones.

The rear lights are personal preference.

I have the cheese grater and centre exhaust on mine a '95 S4 so that not such a big change.

Wheels are again personal preference but I think that your right the late ones are very nice!!

Petrol tanks are the same whatever esprit you get!!

Cam belts, well we all run that risk. My thoughts would be to get one with it done or only buy genuine Lotus parts so at least you have a little comeback.

Finally, as With all esprits, you are best buying one which is judged to be mechanically sound and has appropriate service history!!!

As obvious as it is, the reliable cars and the used ones, cars which don't spend months and months on a trickle charger in the garage. If they're used, they're more likely to be well maintained cars as they invariable do spend more time in the workshop and have more tlc bestowed upon them. As Toby says though, consider each car on a case by case basis as 2 identical looking cars with similar histories may be a dream and a nightmare waiting to happen.

You'll not find many SE's by the way, most V8's are GT's as they were a lot cheaper to buy and spec up to SE levels.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I can't speak for the UK cars, but anecdotally: I recently looked at a 2003 V8 that was (obviously) 3 years newer than my 2000, and had less miles on it than my car had when I bought it. My car, at 28,000 miles, was still in better condition than the 2003 was at 16,000 miles.

The condition of these cars (like any, I suppose) is extremely variable. Personally, I'm always willing to pay top dollar for something obviously well maintained, and will pass up the opportunity to save in order to secure something well cared for. My car has had very few issues in the 2 years I have owned it: none, in fact, that were not caused by idiot mechanics, which speaks to the condition of car when I purchased it.

One final thing: in North America, at least, these cars are often very low mileage for their chronological age, yet I am absolutely astonished at how rough some of these cars can look at low mileage. Some people obviously treat them like crap, my point being that low mileage is no indicator of condition.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Guest mkelite

thanks for all your advice so far guys. i would appreciate as much advice as possible please. especially any known common mechanical or build issues. also indications of what everybody feels are good fair asking values

Hi David,

I regularly, well twice a year at present drive my car from the Welsh borders down to the South of France. Each time the car never misses a beat. Is surprisingly comfortable over long distances.

With regards to exhausts, I had a Larini, not a vary good experience with that, and have now the Sports cats from Superdave and the standard Lotus centre exit exhaust. And the car sounds like it should, i.e. angry when you prod the loud pedal. Patrick is right, not all low mileage cars are the best option, as with anything mechanical it degrades over time as well a with use, and in-fact a regularly used vehicle could be much more reliable than a low mileage garage queen.

I'm sure some of the chaps and ladies here have other opinions but this I my humble offering.

Either way you'll love the car to bits when you get hold of it.

Good luck.

Stu.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

Hi David. As a pretty non-mechanical member of the furum I would defo recommend a V8SE. Mine is 2002 on a 51 plate which annoyingly means it still has Toyota rear lights and the Saturn alloys - I will get round to upgrading soon! My only advice would be to try and buy a daily runner. I use mine all year round, virtually every day but as I am office based still only cover around 5000miles a year. Touch wood as I write this but I find her to be very relaible and a pleasure to own. Ignore the nae sayers and trust in the guys on this forum - they know their stuff!yes.gif

Guest mkelite

thanks for the advice so far guys. any more views appreciated. it seems there is no common faults with the V8s then? presume their a far better developed Esprit as they were the end of its life run.( which is what i've normally found with most British sportscars i've had.). still wouldn't mind any further thoughts on what is felt to be fair pricing for private or dealer sold V8s. many thanks and regards. DC.

David,

I notice that Murray Motor Co. Edinburgh which is an official approved Lotus dealer has a V8 for sale. This is where I got mine and although you pay probably a couple of grand extra for an approved dealer car, I believe the full service history and 12 month warranty are worth it. It's also had it's cambelts done twice which is something that you must keep an eye on: http://www.murraylotus.co.uk/used-cars/info.php?id=4881 Graeme Robertson is the man to speak to in there...

• 3 weeks later...

Buy the newest one you can get and check the engine number with the factory so that you get one with an engine withy the new cyclinder liner sealent post 2001? I think else you may get a huge bill sooner or later if liners have not already been repaired.