Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Crankcase Breather Filter - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Crankcase Breather Filter

th4neuk

Hi All,

Have been reading the LEW modifications guide on this one and wondered whether I would be better fitting this or trying to find a catch tank??

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EModificat...therFilter.html

Also would it pass track day scrutinering with having the crankcase breather or would I need the catch tank???

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hi,

i fitted the breather and finds it works very well, but im now looking

at fitting a catch tank. you can get some fairly cheap nice looking tanks for about 35.00 gbp, i personally think a polished catch tank looks better! but breather is a cheaper,easier mod! :angry:

regards dan :lol:

Edited by silverfrost

A

just fitted a catch tank too Alan. common sense (and all the racers i know who know about turbo engines) suggests getting rid of any chance of oil mist getting back into the intake (with it lowering octane level and causing knock, not to mention the gunge in my chargecooler matrix blocking it up) by losing the pipework from the green crankcase breather valve to the airbox, and the small pipe from the CBV to the inlet manifold (on a chargecooled car to suck in mist at idle, one way valve shuts on boost). A catch tank on the larger outlet from the CBV(keep the CBV as it has meshy type plates in to slow things down a bit) mounted somewhere cool if possible to help the mist/oil condense in it, then small pipe from top of tank to floor.

Check my garage page for the little catch tank I fitted.

For tracking you should have the oil collected either by the induction system or the tank as venting it will cause the track to become oily.

The exhuast port on the tank breathes air so it's probably a good idea to filter that, becuase it's in the engine bay I tuck mine out of the way on the end of a tube and simply cover it with foam and a cable tie.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers guys. At least the filter thingy I bought won't go to waste as it will go on the other port on a tank. Ebay here we come!!!

Thanks for the help..

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Hi Alan,

I bought a nice catch tank of ebay but I found mounting it in the engine bay was a pain. I wanted to ensure the pipe from cbv was running downards becuase I found oil had welled in the pipe. The catch tank I bought had the twin inlet/outlet fittings and I had to fit a breather filter to it so as not to pressurise the sump. All this extra crap in the engine bay and the size of the cbv pipe and the filter just seemed to mess things up. Kato's catch tank with the beathable top and just the inlet seemed the best option for a catch tank but these units are expensive. So I've followed Katos lead and just opted for the beather filter routed down to the under tray and no catch tank. For the amount of oil we are talking about I cant see this being a problem. But each to their own.

Edited by CarlC