Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Carburettor float chambers - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Carburettor float chambers

ChrisH

Can anyone help me please, I have been trying to get my Esprit back running after doing the rear suspension. I changed the plugs and leads etc, started it up and it ran like a bag of nails then cut out, so I did all the usual checks like spark and fuel, sorted the sticky choke and the fuel pump did click when I turned on the ignition, so today when I came home from work I thought I would check the jets, they were all clean as a whistle so I took the carb cover off and discovered that there was vewry little petrol in the float chamber so my question is simply is the pump only working intermittently??? I do think it is original fit because looking through my folder I dont see any reference to the pump ever been changed

Any body got any ideas please and is the pump serviceable

Cheers

Chris

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuff one to diagnose, but if you have a pressure gauge disconect a hose to one of the carbs and attach the gauge, turn on the ignition and see what pressure you get, I can't remember the correct readings but it will be in the manual some where.

Low pressure can be caused by a blocked filter, a sick pump, or, wait for it, low fuel.

A cautionery note, your rear carb is directly over the starter solonoid, don't spill fuel, you have been warned.

Oh, another cause, decaying fuel line, there are also filters in banjo attachment to the carb, check those.

Don't smoke !

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

After jacking my car up and removing the scuttle for ease of access to the pump I noticed that the in-line filter was a kind of brown colour and probably clogged up possibly restricting fuel flow, the pump up to that point did click but slowly, changed the filter, battery lead back on and the pump clicked much quicker. Maybe because it had been standing for so long added to the crud in the filter.

Strangely enough when I put the battery lead back on my throttle cable jumped...............