Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Your First Time - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Your First Time

gghc87

Following my recent tread looking for a white esprit turbo got me thinking.

I WONDERED WHAT YOUR FIRST EXPERIENCE WAS LIKE DRIVING AN ESPRIT.

Come on tell all its only you , me and well every one esle !!! B) B) B) B)

This link below gives my first Experience

http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...?showtopic=3171

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first time was with a gorgeous red from Northampton. Only 17yrs old, fantastic exterior, two previous owners and only 33,000miles on the clock.

Almost had heart-attack when I saw her for the first time because it was also the first Stevens I'd ever seen in the flesh. I'll alway have fond memories of my first time with that Turbo S.

Only managed to get her up up to 65mph on the test run before bottling out however... think I must have been nervous....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... :lol:

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

Jan 1999

N/A S3

Stepping out of my assisted everything supra into an Esprit

was a bit of a shock. For the first five minutes i felt like the

car was going to fall to bit's around me, wind and cabin noise

gave the impression the doors or the floor would fall out.

The thing bounced hard on every rut and bump, the gearchange

was an unpleasant neccessity, visibility absolutely awful, and there

was this aura of petrol kinda surrounding the whole thing.

I went back and bought that Esprit :lol:

The above description applies to my current Esprit too. :lol:

I couldn't see outside in my test drive :lol: But I promised to not to raise the drivers bench. When I bought that car, first I couldn't get reverse gear in...then the previous owner walked towards and I manage to get the gear myself :lol:

Driving the car was nice, couldn't imagine how low it is.

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

1988 N/A from paul mattys i went to veiw the car and fell in love with it! put my deposit down and went back two weeks later to collect her :lol: it was a saturday morning from memory and i remember i had got there early due to the excitment he pulled open the showroom doors and drove her out!

the roads on the way back where busy and i was following my brother who had dropped me there, i was bloody nervous also i had to stop to fill up and spent ages fumberling about at the pump! but god did i feel on top of the world

on the way back i loved that car!

then a few years ago i got my s3 that i love to bits even more because of the time and energy i have put into her! however she came to me on a trailer! and our romance blossomed from there :lol: however my wife hated them both :lol:

regards dan :lol:

A

First Esprit I drove was a 1988 anniversary pearl jobbie.

It was for sale at Bieri in Toronto.

Drove it out into rush hour traffic on the Ellesmere Rd. :lol:

The headliner was ripped and hanging in my line of site, and the electric mirrors werent working. :lol:

I decided the best course of action was to boot it and put all the aggro behind me :lol:

Liked the handling /performance of this car ,but unfortunately not the styling and the horrible smell and general apperance of the tatty interior(previous owner smoked Turkish ciggarettes). :lol:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Bought the beast privately from somewhere north of Watford... driving back, needed petrol; went into motorway services, switched off engine, tried to remove key.............ended up removing keyfob and other attached keys from ignition key! Later located the little button under the ignition switch! Most of the rest of the trip was spent in a traffic jam; fans all worked perfectly.Next day fans failed, engine got v. hot, otter switch blew out of front radiator hose, trip to scrapyard for 3 Allegro fan motors+fans.....And so it went on!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The first sensation I got- when you first step on the gas, nothing happens. (compared to the big engined muscle cars I was used to). Accompanied by- f*ck, I can't see things behind me.

Second sensation- the suspension was very solid and the steering amazing. Doesn't roll like a boat, as my previous cars. And the gearbox doesn't feel as bad as I've heard

Third sensation- lack of low end torque doesn't matter once you hit 4000 RPM :lol: Tried to pass a truck, "accidentally" hit 100 or so mph in doing so.

4th sensation- cursing how to get the key out :lol:

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Not 1st drive but 1st Ride in an Esprit was on a meet with Robin, Bibs, Jason and Mike.

Talk about baptism of fire - I went with Bibs and within 100 meters out of the meeting area I think we'd pulled about 4 impossible manouvers.

Utterly crapped myself but after I'd realised how good the car/drivers were settle down.

Never forget thinking 'never gonna make that corner' smoke billowing out of the front caliper and Bib's comment "oh the brakes sometimes smoke a bit, nothing to worry about"......who's worried :lol:

Never experienced anything like that before - amazing day out, sold me the car completely.

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Was disappointedwith my first test drive. I'd gone to near gatwick to look at a car having been told it was perfect. Exhaust was blowing like a pig and it felt really slow. Looked gorgeous though and it was difficult to walk away.

Driving mine was so different. Was terrified. the owner had driven it first and demo'd what it would do. After asking to go back for my interna; organs I had a go. I think he knew I was going to buy it as the smile never left my face. The drive home was one of the most fun things I've ever done. It was awesome. That feeling we all know so well. Thing is it never really goes does it!!

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Went over to a blokes house to look at his original 77 S1. Single Owner. I had him back it out of the very tight garage, then I took over.

Eased into first and slowy let out the clutch while reving it way too much. I little grinding (cable adjustment) later and I made it down his driveway that let to a busy road. He pointed left and in an attempt to merge into traffic, lit up the tires. As we peeled out of the driveway, I said "sorry" to the owner. After a few miles I was getting the hang of things when he pointed me to a roadway that ended with me facing uphill on about a 30 degree angle...with a stop sign. He pointed right and once again in my zest to not stall out, lit up the tires ..... then said "sorry" again.

About 10 minutes into the drive I lost power and the car died. We drifted to the side of the road and repeated tries later it did not start. We sat there chatting for a few more minutes then I tried her again and she started.

Away we went and the same scenario repeat a few more times. On the last we were about 2 miles from his home but SIGNIFICANTLY downhill from it. This time no attempts would get her running. Boot open, engine cover off, we tried dozens of checks to no avail. And it was impossible for us to push it home.

150 US dollars and a flatbed tow later were were standing on his deck, beers in hand, when he dropped the price from his asking number directly to my first offer.

The drive was glorious. A week later I handed him the check and drove her off.

I noticed all the issues where when it was hot, so I arrange to pick her up late at night. The 20 minute drive home was great. I did not hear one of the thousands noises it was making (creaks, grons...). About half way home I pulled into a strip mall parking lot, left her running and got out. I stepped back and walked around her several times grinning from ear to ear. Under the glow of the arc lamps above.....she was low and mean and all the things I expected...and she was mine.

The rest of the drive home was uneventful. Oh, and the problem was cured by a $36 epoxy coil replacement. Seems the old original would breakdown when it got hot.

DomG

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

wow. S1s must really have more low end torque than turbos. It's almost impossible to light up the tires in mine :lol:

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

About 8 months ago I started thinking about my 24th birthday. I had my heart set on a Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo or a 993TT. One day while walking down Old Town Pasadena, I caught a glimpse of a beautiful G-car (might of been Slade). The car looked so sexy. I became intrigued by the Esprit

So I started doing research on Esprits and came to the conclusion that a V8 would fit me best. I found a '02 V8 at a local dealer. I made the drive down to the dealer and asked to see the Esprit. They bring it out. This was my first time seeing an Ann. Esprit in person and it was love at first sight. I was amazed by the stance, the sound. The car had such a presence. The interior felt great.

I ask to drive it. I take it easy at first and get used to driving with my big Harley Davidson boots without hitting 2 pedals at once. After feeling comfortable with the car, I hit it in 2nd and 3rd gear. The straight exhausted, de-catted, red ECU'ed V8 pulled with such a fury comparable to that of a jet barreling down the runway. The AP brakes were awesome as well. Needles to say, I forgot about the Porsche.

I didn't buy that car for other reasons but 3 days before my birthday, I took delivery of my Final Edition Esprit.

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

Slade

You wrote

> S1s must really have more low end torque than turbos. It's almost impossible to light up the tires in mine<

Low end torque sucks but the old trick it to stomp on it in first while starting a hard turn from a standstill. The tires will break loose and just enough power will produce a slide and wheel squeal from almost any 4 cylinder car. I could do the same in my modified wide-tired Opel Manta in the early 70s. Sounded like it had a V8 from the street corner.

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

aside from taking off while treating the clutch horribly (or smacking the gas after downshifting) that's the only way I've been able to get my tires to break loose :lol:

slade

Edited by slade

Wow... I knew you might have seen my car Gonzalo... but being your inspiration for buying an Esprit is a distinct honor! :lol:

slade

Had my first drive in an Esprit on satruday. BRG, Italian 2 litre SE.

It was utterly gorgeous (apart from the brakes, steering, me stalling it, trying to get into reverse, the dials being all misted up and the oil in the spark plug wells. Oh and the rain)

But hey ho - I have GOT to get me one of these things!

:lol:

first experience driving was the very Kart-like steering. turn the wheel it goes where you point it. Amazing. My wife was very nervous.

Second was the gearchange and clutch, basically just getting used to it.

Third was turning around and heading for home about 400yds down the road because the shoes I was wearing caused me to hit the gas and brake at the same time. SCARY!!

After that it was plain sailing.

Now of course it is (after the family) MY LIFE!!!

db

It was a test drive. Sitting in the car was unreal, and I just remember how small it was, and the interior felt like a coffin at first.

Looking out the rear windows as I backed out of the driveway, I felt like I was in a toy; I had to duck my head slightly to see straight out the back. The plasticness of the body and the overall fit and finish added to the effect.

It seemed so much smaller in person to me than it looked in pictures.

It was not a remarkable drive. A few miles around busy boulevards in a Detroit suburb. I wasn't going to buy one without a test drive, and the owner was reluctant to let anyone drive the car. It was not currently registered, and he had attached a plate from another vehicle just so we would not get pulled over for not having a plate.

I didn't get to enjoy it at all. The roads were straight, I was listening for noises and feeling for funny things, watching the gauges, etc., while the seller was biting his nails, freaking out that the car was actually on the road--he had owned it for two years and done a lot of work to it, but had never taken it out himself.

But I was very comfortable in the interior, which, despite how inviting it looked in photographs, was just big enough to get comfortable in and no more. I liked the rumble of the engine right behind my shoulders, and it was everything I dreamed it would be. :lol:

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

In at the deep end .... my first drive was in one of the demo V8 cars around Goodwood circuit! Azure blue with split rims ...

I knew Goodwood circuit from a few TVR track days and fell in love with the V8 Esprit on the spot. Really enjoyed myself, hit 140mph on back straight, so balanced ...

On arriving back into the pits, the Lotus guy sitting next to me had been stragnely silent, he uttered under his breath "you trust those brakes more than I do" ... well, after the Excel brakes they felt good! ... It turned out that he worked on engine management systems and was only there to check on the cars after each series of laps, but they needed a Lotus "official" in each car! Bet he didn't enjoy it as much as I did ...

The only criticism at the time was that I was beating the synchro on upshifts, this was with the single plate pre-AP clutch - too much inertia in the clutch / flywheel...

In the early 1990's I knew I wanted an Esprit, but didn't even know what they sounded like. I rented The Spy Who Loved Me just to hear the sound of the car! My first actual ride and drive happened to be in Reno, Nevada, where they had an '88 or '89 Esprit Turbo (red) which they'd received new but never sold (salesman: "These types of cars don't sell in Nevada"), but nevertheless had 5000 miles on it...

The salesman drove it first and it was quick and smooth. When my turn came I was very cautious and actually missed the turn he wanted me to take that would've led us up into some twisty, hilly bits. Then I came to a simple intersection and made the embarrassing gaffe of stalling it. When we got back, I was astonished at how hot the engine bay was. Overall, I was impressed with the car but they were asking a bit much at the time. I remember offering $32k, which they felt was too low.

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

Heh, that was thing what I did evening before test running the car...watched The Spy Who Loved Me :lol: And kept asking for my girlfriend if she likes the Esprit...and she liked :huh:

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+