Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exhaust blowing - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhaust blowing

Excuse the explicit sounding topic!!!

My exhaust is blowing under acceleration and I think I've found the culprit to be a tiny hole in the system to the left of the silencer at the rear of the car (excuse my ignorance here).

I think this is an original component due to the severe rust situation, just need to know if this is an isolated component and can be replaced without too much trouble or does it mean that the whole system needs replacing i.e. manifold and connecting system?

Thanks,

Ben.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there,

I replaced the rear silencer and that was an easy job. Its also good idea to replace the straps. PNM do or did a sport exhaust which was the same as a normal Lotus part but its a straight through. It makes a good noise but PNM can be a a bit slow on delivery so check with them 1st. Cost was around the

post-5-1140353403.jpg

Hi, if its just the back box its worth fitting a stainless steel item, also the metal sraps that hold the back box on will probably need replacing aswell as may the backing that bolts onto the gearbox! also why you are there sj sportscars supply a centre exhaust stainless pipe for about

A

Can thoroughly recommend going stainless. Bought a stainless system from Chris Neal in 1988; still going strong!! If you do change the entire system and pipes, be prepared for breaking bolts/shearing studs when removing - will probably need "re-engineering" on re-assembly. After that, no more exhaust problems.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Thanks Jon & Dan,

the hole is not in the back box (stainless steel and in good condition), its in the adjoining part to the left of the back box which I guess is the central exhaust system. lotusbits.com have got a complete system for

Evening,

Nearly every bolt will shear, so leave some 3in1 oil on them and try to remove them the next day. If no joy and the system does not want to come apart and you feel like you are going to be unable to remove it then pay someone. If however you give it a try and you get the thing off. Well refitting should be fine! Changing and exhaust is quit easy but the nuts are the problem as well as the access to them. Have a look, see how you feel. If you get stuch on removing them post here and you will get some tips otherwise get the garage to do it.

Curly Jon

Guest Troy Halliday

Mine came apart quite easily actualy. But as said there is a high chance the bolts will snap so try to get some new ones in advance. I bought a complete stainless system from SJ Sportscars including the manifold. I opted for the straight through centre pipe and the sports back box which fitted together very well but couldn't tell you what it sounds like or performance enhancement because I haven't driven it yet.

I do have my old ones sitting around somewhere. I am just of junction 25 of the m25 if your stuck.