Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Project Megajolt - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Project Megajolt

trackmagic

Hey all,

I am working towards installing the Megajolt jr. on my 1983 Esprit and know there are a few guys who have been down this road. I am at the stage of installing the computer and will need a starting map. I am hoping someone has one to share to get me started. If you can share any experiences in creating the map that would be helpful as I am not a programmer by heart.

I will be posting some pictures soon and sharing some of the challenges I have had thus far.

Best,

Jeff

poleposition@sbcglobal.net

www.espritturbo.com

www.espritturbo.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cross checking the available default map from the site, i found all the values to be exactly the same as the lotus spec on my car and it runs fine (better than originally actually). programming a map in the software isnt difficult so load in the default, then modify it if needed to the lotus spec

good luck...its really worth it

Hey that's an imposter! I'm 910esprit not him!! Anyway good luck on the conversion Jeff - I understand why you left me the message now. Although my car is lightly tuned its still using the standard fuelling & ignition systems.

cheers Steve

Hi Jeff,

You could try sending Hilly a pm, Before he did his engine conversion he had installed a diy ecu on his lotus engine, he should be able to point you in the right direction and is also very noligable on ecu systems.

Regards danny

A

Thanks guys for all the terrific feedback. Figure if a beat enough trees something surely is going to drop. I ordered up the box and hopefully will be getting it wired in next week.

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Hi.

I have installed the MegaJolt system in my car and I'm very happy with the result.

Changing or building your own Map is very easy.

I started out with the Map from Ajay and it worked really good. If you want to run higher boost you will have to modify it.

Pm me if yoy want a copy of my Map or need any help.

Of course if you want the best of It you have to put the car on a rolling road..

Pics. Of my installation:post-1846-12693821077_thumb.jpg

post-1846-12693821323_thumb.jpg

post-1846-126938217242_thumb.jpg

Edited by PER

Hey guys,

Update number 1. Crank pulley and crank sensor install.

I made a solid steel billet to fit into the stock pulley to adapt the trigger wheel. The weight is there to test its damping effect. The trigger wheel is a stock Ford piece from boostengineering..net

The crank sensor mount is 1/4 aluminum mounted from the oil pan. Required making a couple of spacers and use of longer bolts to get the proper sensor clearance (.040). The sensor is then mounted to a 1" aluminum angle. Angle is slotted to fine tune the timing. When you start the car with just the ignition module it will defalt to 10 degrees TDC. Mine was 12 to start so I moved the sensor to get 10.

Note: ENGINE TURNS CLOCKWISE!

To time the sensor you will lock the engine at TDC on the number one cylinder. The trigger wheel has one missing tooth and from there you will count 9 teeth BACK (90 degree). Since my sensor is at the 6 o'clock position the missing tooth is at 9 o'clock at number 1 TDC. The sensor will be lined up with the middle of the 9th tooth. Lots of info online if you google EDIS or Megajolt. If you can get this part down the rest is cake!

Pictures.

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

DSC02288.jpg

DSC02286.jpg

DSC02284.jpg

DSC02283.jpg

DSC02282.jpg

DSC02281.jpg

Edited by trackmagic

www.espritturbo.com

Yes GKP its mine..

Nice work Jeff.

Sorry Steve i used 910esprit before i realised you were using it and had too many posts by then to change it.

The map that is in the clicky was developed after days of pouring over the maps in the SE memcal and applying the vairiables to suit my engine.

Max boost is currently 10 PSi and the map is quite conservative to keep well away from detonation, it is written for super unleaded fuel and the carbs have been rejetted to accomodate the extra boost.

The engine currently produces 264 LBFT of torque at 4250rpm which is way more than the standard 210 and pushes the limits (IMO) of the standard G box. There would be more to come on the rollers, however i am more than happy with the performance, so don't feel the need.

http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=1774

Thanks AJ,

If it is the same MAP that Per sent me then I am hooked up. Thank you for taking the time to send. Next step is a boost increase to what you have. If you remember your jet sizes that would be of help. I have an Innovate Lambda reader and so will be utilizing it. I have access to a rolling dyno and when I can get to it I will be sure to let you guys know the results. Right now just waiting for some days off so I can get back at it.

On the transaxle power; I recently sold a dirt bike to a Frenchmen who was a former Lotus engineer (suspension) and I asked him about the power limits of the Citroen gearbox. His quote "It will take whatever you can throw at it." I relayed what has been written in the forums and his response was the Citroen factory used to make their own gears and were quite good at it.

So whatever that is worth thought I would share.

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

HI Jeff

I am running smaller air correctors (162) as well with larger mains (210) Idle is (40)

I did send a copy of my map to Per however i think he has made a few adjustments.... I had jetted quite rich to avoid detonation, however this was before charge cooling so i was going to install a wide band and have another go as Mpg is not very good. and with the charge cooler then i think i can bring it back to a more optimum setting. (this is on hold for this year as a new toy has temporeraly got my attentions) I would be very interested to see your results with your wide band.

Nice rebuild BTW very impressive.

ANdy

Thanks AJ for the update and checking out my website :thumbup: . Per sent me his MAP and yes it is different due to his running higher boost. My car (stock) has a vacuum advance/retard and I plan on seeing at what stages it advances and retards with vacuum/ boost. One nice feature about the vacuum advance is it has a bypass feature on cold start. Under 70 C it will go full advance to help stabilize the idle. Never find I need the choke.I find it interesting that the Euro cars only came with mechanical advance distributor. I am sure part of the reason for the vacuum advance is to deal with drivability issues due to emission requirements here.

I think I am starting to get a handle on the use of only kPa in the programming. I will be studying up before I start changing any numbers. I have the Innovate Wide Band and highly suggest you get one to dial in your carbs. Once you use it you will love yourself for doing so. It will get you the performance and MPG you want.

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Jeff: As for dialing in the carbs for running higher boost. I would suggest running smaller air correctors and keeping the mains as is for starters. As i believe you have 45mm carbs US version? and I run 40mm's Euro version. Out jetting won't be the same, so you can't run the same jet sizes as Andy or I do. Have you changed the jets from original?

Per :-)

Per,

With the help of the Innovate AFR reader I have done some tweaking on the jets. The pilots are 58, mains 165 and air corr 250. Dropped the pump jet down to 33. The Dells are the 45mm.

Made some more progress as I got the Megajolt box wired in but had some laptop computer issues that need addressing. Hope to get back on it in a few days (weather permitting).

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to finish up the rest of the installation. Here are some pictures of the Megajolt and module and coil mounting. Decided to mount the coil in the boot area to get it away from the heat of the turbo. Megajolt is on the opposite side behind the left rear wheel. I kept the stock ignition intact as it wasn't in the way and will serve as a backup if necessary. Thanks to Per and AJ I have some maps to play around with. Being able to change the advance settings is pretty straight forward and looking forward to getting more aquatinted with it.

Jeff

wires.jpg

mega.jpg

coil.jpg

www.espritturbo.com

• 4 weeks later...

Per,

As you are well aware of throttle response is much better. My first go around with tuning with a computer and I am hooked. I am using a slightly modified version of your map.

What I did is I continued to use the "vacuum bypass" switch on my car. This allowed the old distributor to go full advance by switching over to the vacuum pump vacuum. When the water temperature goes up it is then switched back over to the ported carb vacuum.

What I did was to change the advance settings at the low vacuum for when it is on the low temperature full vacuum advance. I also bumped up the normal initial advance to 16 degrees.

In the next few weeks I hope to get it on the rollers. Let you know.

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

I'm currently converting my '85 esprit turbo to megajolt, and this thread has proved invaluable to get my sensor installed ;)

I'm now moving on to the installation of the vacuum hoses, but as I don't have a 'standard' vacuum advance connection on the car, could anyone tell me how they got round this? I can't find any decent photos on the web, and in case I'd missed something, I'd like to avoid drilling in the manifold or carburettors if I can avoid it .

Thanks,

Michel

Hi Everyone

To echo Michel's question: I'm also considering going with an electronic timing system for my '83 Turbo Esprit. Due to the 4 throttle bodies, I heard it is quite difficult to get a clean MAP reading. What have you guys out there done to get by this problem? Where did you place the MAP sensor on your systems?

Kind regards

Brandt

Hi. There should be a vacum rail on your Cars. It has two takeoffs. One for the brakes and one for the ventilation system. Remove the oneway valve on the output that goes to the ventilation and put a tee there. Then connect one end to the MegaJolt and one end to the ventilation system. Beteween the tee and ventilation system you have to place a one way valve to prevent boost getting into the ventilation. Hope this helps:-)

Edited by PER

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks PER ! that I missed that one :blush:

Got it all hooked up this weekend.Although it took some head scrathing at first ( had to connect coil A to to pin 3 instead of pin 1 as mentioned in the installation manual) it was great to hear her running again (although a bit rough) for the first time in about 8 years!

Michel