Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyre replacement for NCT's - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyre replacement for NCT's

I see what you mean Trev, modern construction , tread compounds etc. might result in a tyre that in a smaller width out performs a earlier wider one.

But lets face it, there obviously are no more suitable speed rated 235s being made, so this whole exercise is a compromise .

This is a shot of the Esprit Lotus used for the test.

Those sidewalls look pretty stretched inwards to me.

Definately not a good option in the looks dept. :lol:

Lotus_87_turbo.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there a bigger photo ?

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cliff , I nicked that photo from the Katos LEW site. Ask him If he would post a larger version :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Hi guys.

I also fitted a set of Goodyear F1 tyres.

Front 205/55/15 (I know it is slightly wider than standard)

Rear 225/60/15

I haven't had a chance to get the car on the track, but they are great on the road.

On the looks department they don't look narrower than the 235's

Duncan

• 4 weeks later...

Not to bring up an old thread, but as you can see I am looking real hard at an '84 turbo, with factory original NCT's on the front and newer tires on the rear.

So on to the post

Since I can't even find the Lotus suggested sized tires for the G - Car....

I see what Wayne has posted for sizes... has anyone else gotten anything good out there for tires?

Joey

Spencer WV

Found my Esprit, but due to family issues, money went to other things :(

I guess I just have to wait for a while.

Not to bring up an old thread, but as you can see I am looking real hard at an '84 turbo, with factory original NCT's on the front and newer tires on the rear.

So on to the post

Since I can't even find the Lotus suggested sized tires for the G - Car....

I see what Wayne has posted for sizes... has anyone else gotten anything good out there for tires?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Morning Joey

Good luck in the search . Check this link for some tyre info. May help. :(

http://www.lotusespritworld.co.uk/ETechnical/Tyre_Info.html

Cliff

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Yep, read that, but according to Tire Rack and two other online tire shops they don't list any V rated tires that match in the sizes for the Esprit. Or for that matter even the tire sizes that wayne posted.... I guess I will call my local tires shop and see what he can come up with.

Joey

Spencer WV

Yep, read that, but according to Tire Rack and two other online tire shops they don't list any V rated tires that match in the sizes for the Esprit.  Or for that matter even the tire sizes that wayne posted.... I guess I will call my local tires shop and see what he can come up with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try a higher rating

my nct's are Z rated :(

Cliff

Try a higher rating

my nct's are Z rated :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, woke up with a headache... I meant V or higher... didn't see anything. Other than the Perelli P6 Four Seasons that are V rated, but they don't look anything like a performance tire to me.

Joey

Spencer WV

When I made my original post, the Dunlops were still available (but out of production)

You will have to scout around till you find a tyre warehouse with some old stock(if you want the wider ones) :(

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Admittedly ig'orant question then...

How would wider tyres DEGRADE performance?

Other than, perhaps, making it heavier to steer at low speed? (who cares?! :lol: )

I readily admit I know very little about tyres but I woudl ahve thought that surely they ought to be 'grippier'? (that's a technical term that is!) :(

Or why else would Lotus have gone for increasingly wide tyre sizes?

I personally am aiming for GT3 style performance as it's supposed to be the best handling Esprit and weigh very close to a G-Turbo - so with each upgrade / mod I do... I will aim for GT3 style, official Lotus suspension and GT3 - SE power... So I'm guessing GT3 wheel sizes are where it's at?

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

A wider tyre has increased rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag so it might knock off a few mph off the top end.

Think Lotus are concerned how a nonstandard tyre size would affect the handling ballance of the car.

I went up 1 tyre size (in width) both front and rear and can report no evil handling traits have emerged on my car.

The Lotus tests were originally published as a service bulletin and circulated to Lotus dealers so they had a recommendation for their customers whos Earlier model Esprits they were still maintaining.

I have never read anybody critisising the Stevens owners who went for wider than standard wheels and tyres on their cars :(

Maybe when Lotus release a service bulletin on their cars they will all go back to the standard wheel and tyre sizes (or smaller) :lol:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Okay, I know this has be beat like a dead horse, but I am getting ready to plan my trip to go look/purchase an '84 Esprit.... But it needs tires.

Does anyone have a link or list of tires that not only fit the Esprit, but match. I can find several tires that fit, but not match front and rear, even if I go up one size.

I did find the Kumho ECSTA KH11, but not sure about Kumho's... I have never heard good things about them. But I can say that the price is cheap (not that this is a requirement).

Help....

Joey

Spencer WV

you can get dunlop sports in 225 and 195 'v'rated.

also some "buget" tyres called GT (if they are anything like the INDIA GT's, they were brill) but is it worth risking your 'pride n joy? :huh:

i have goodyear 225 f1's on the rear, and still the nct's on the front.

any 235 tyres available will not have a good enough speed rating.

If you find some.. let us know!!! :)

Dave

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

The 225 and 195 in the dunlop either don't match, or they are the SP 5000's. Not the same as the SP9000.

At least I can't find them here in the USA....

Joey

Spencer WV

• 6 months later...
The 225 and 195 in the dunlop either don't match, or they are the SP 5000's. Not the same as the SP9000.

At least I can't find them here in the USA....

What's the latest thinking on this? I'm about to replace all 4 and I'm thinking about following Lotus' advice and going for the Pirelli P6000s with the rears in the slightly smaller/narrower 225 size.

Can anyone comment on the grip and handling with this setup, particularly in the wet (my most scariest time)?

Cheers

Ed

Hi all,

Don't forget that the 195 front and 235 rear are also the sizes for the Steven's Turbos before the SE came along so it's not just a G car problem.

I have a S car with 195 front and 245 rear (SE wheels) on it thanks (I assume) to a PO. It suffered with understeer so I put on 205 fronts to compensate. It worked up to a point but I was never very happy with the feel of it so just before the Factory visit I went back to 195 Pirelli 6000's for the front as recommended by Lotus. They have transformed the feel of the car. Much easier to drive slowly (the wider tyres did make it much heavier) and the handling is far, far better.

So, I would suggest that Ed follows the Lotus advice. After all, you have to assume that the Lotus guys do know something about handling!

Richard

Edited by RichardN

Well it looks like everyone has a different opinion on this (as with all things).

I don't know how modified Fishy's car is (apart from his door handles!) but it may be that something he has changed has affected the handling with Pirellis - just a possibility!

All I can say is that I am very pleased with mine.

Richard

Here's my reply to a PM from Ed on the subject of P600/6000's :(

I have P6000's on the front and P600's on the rear (235 60 15)

...and yes... I think they were a rubbish waste of money, have no grip and inspire little confidence :( Kato said a friend of his had very hard compound tyres on his Elise / Exige and that they needed a couple of thousand miles to bed-in... Well I have done several thousand and they're still god-awful!

I have had several experiences of trailing throttle oversteer when I wouldn't have expected my old tyres to let go.

I would go with Lotus' recommendation on new sizes but personally look for tyres more along teh lines the others seem to use (Dunlop Sports, Yokohamas etc etc) The trouble is, with our great big Monster Truck tyres - all those really nice sporting compounds / tread patterns aren't really available :P

Oh and I think they're even worse in the wet!

Sorry to be so negative but this really is my personal feeling after having driven them for several thousand miles and on several hard-driving hoons! :)

Now... if you can get P6000's for the rear then I cannot comment as to how much difference that would make but it MAY go some way to correcting the T.T.Oversteer problems I have been having?

I have found the back is very ready to let go (in the DRY!) and have had a couple of rear end wobbles (missus!) :(

Troy has got 225's of some description on his rear wheels and being a nice modern tyre, design and technology, they look like they have at least the same actual contact area / footprint :( they don't *look* skinny either :P

As for modifications - nothing suspension-wise - all I will end up doing eventually is the new Lotus setup (probably GT3 spec) and whatever they recommend bush-wise (ooer again!) for best handling - ie PU etc... (ride-schmide!)

I have two front tyres (NCT 2's) that are still legal but not a lot of legal! On my old wheels.

I think I'd rather sell them as a pair? I had originally thought I'd whack all 4 wheels on ebay with the tyres. all Eagles, rears not road legal, fronts I think are?

As they are both at similar wear levels, it might be better to use both together and keep your remaining 'good one' as the spare? What do people think about this? Or am I being overly paranoid?

I have not really given it much thought as I cannot sell them until I have re-sealed my fronts (I will need them to stand the car on while I'm doing it!) As to when that will be? Well I have been waiting a couple of weeks now for the parts from Compomotive :(

I need to split the rims apart, replace the o-rings, torque down all those infernal bolts and reseal them!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

Hi Fishy,

This really is strange. I have found the opposite when using P6000's. As I mentioned I put them on just before the Factory trip so they had only done about 300 miles before I went on the track with them. It had started to rain just before I went out so it was getting slippy (in fact a V8 span in front of me). Regardless, I threw it into every corner (being very careful of course Mr Kimberley!) and they stuck like glue. In fact I was expecting understeer as I had become used to it with my previous tyres but not a bit of it. Ok, it was hardly on the limit as I had to keep slowing right down because of all the V8's in front of me holding things up :blink: but it still gave me confidence in the tyres.

When I got back after the trip there were still all the little bobbly bits of rubber you get on a new tyre so they were far from run-in.

This is one of those, "What works for one, doesn't for another" situations. I guess everyone has to make their own minds up and take a chance on their tyre choice.

Richard

...or maybe I just drive faster! :P:blink:

;-)