Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
free springs - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

free springs

Hi all

Having just completed a front and rear suspension rebuild on my g car i have a set of springs (all ok but tatty looking ).

If they are of any use to anyone you can have them for free otherwise its the tip.

just get in touch and we can work out a way of gettin them to you.

cheers

paul :lol:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they the Euro spec springs?

Jussi was thinking of lowering his Federal ride height Esprit.

If they are any good maybe he could use them?

I have just PMed him, are they usable? (not shagged out , drooping or as rusty as the Titanic)

It would be pointless in sending them if they were. :lol:

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Having had the front springs break while being stored in the garage. Then having the find the right colours and type nightmare. Could you tell us if they are tapered and if there are any coloured strips on them. The yr & model would also be of interest as they are many spring types for the G cars!

Curly Jon

Hi there,

I have new ones! It was just after my nightmare that anyone getting them needs to check as there are many differnent types! The springs can be parallel, equal gaps or tapered in shape. Then you have different coloured paint marks on them depending on the Lotus dampner. I had PNM try and sort me out but in the end I had to send one to Lotus to get it identified!

Curly Jon

Hi all

As far as i can tell they are origional parallel with equal gaps come off my 83 turbo which had done 37000 miles,

the only reason i changed them was because i didnt see point in changing all the bushes,bolts and shockers and not the springs (new ones from sj).

can get the powder coated for pennies in brum they are tatty but the powder coating was proberbly never up to much !!

paul

Jussi,

You need to go and look at you front springs! There are about 6 differnent types. Just knowing the car model and year does not mean you can buy a Lotus spring and it will fit!

Check list:

Front

IS spring a tapered type - Normally its wide at the bottom and gets a saller diameter at the top of the spring.

Parallel - even gaps all the way up the spring.

Paint marks.

Along with the shape of the spring there are different paint marks on the spring. Yellow,white and purple and maybe some others.

Once you have this info Shape and paint marks you can then be sure of what will and wont fit.

Also you then need to know if they are god for a car with or with out aircon as that another type that goes with the above spring spec.

For Example mine springs are:

Purple/white paint marks

Tapered

For aircon cars

Where are my friend has the same car of the same year has:

Yellow paint mark

Parallel

no air con

Rear.

I have no idea but the garage did not seem to have a nightmare as they did with the front.

Ok so why are there many spring types for the front.

Lotus told me that they had supply issues with dampners and thats why there are about 15>20 spring/dampner types!

IF you have a rusty spring, the paint will still be visible once they have been removed. It shows up in the bit that sits in the bottom where it has been protected from the elements.

Hope that helps.

Soory for going on, I just want the right springs to go to the right car. No point having free springs if you cant fit them!

Curly Jon

The whole point is Jussi wants to lower his car to Euro ride height (like mine)

The federal cars are 1.5 inches higher (to raise the bumper heights)

He doesnt want the same colour striped springs(as he has now)

Think its worth getting them and trying them out :angry:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Yes, main reason for getting euro spec springs is to lower the car, now it's looking like a monster truck :angry:

Just found some photos from my springs. The rear springs has green marks on them and for front blue marks (or they are blue). They aren't good photos so I'm not 100percent sure about those colours.

Edited by Jussi

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

I'm thinking of getting some Adjustable Springs/shocks for my car to get a lowered look. The later G cars rode a lot higher than the Dry sump car which look much more exotic? Anyone recommend any?

That's not a rumour!!

I have spoken to Brian Angus perosnally about them and heard him talk at great length on them at last year's LEW Oxford meet ;)

The V8 ones have just come on sale iirc ~

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

They have done them for the post '85 cars and were looking into the pre '85 cars.

Last I heard was June, so if you're not in a hurry, wait until you can buy a new setup specifically for your car, made by one of the best respected manufacturers (Billstein) and specified by the best Ride & Handling speicalists in the world! (Lotus! :) )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have any idea how much this would cost? I would love a set for my S2. Do you have a name of someone to contact about it?

Shah

1979 Esprit S2. Long Beach, CA

PS - Jussi - That blue is the DAMPER not the spring! (sorry if I'm saying the obvious) They are not a 'fixed pair' - so... Would the spring itself would have had its own colour when bought? - not simply "rust" colour! :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Evil collegue, the black springs are marked with paint marks by the manufacturers

so that Lotus can identify their rate and installed heights,So the line workers know which springs to install on a given car, depending on options and ride height requirements.

Blue paint marks ID the US federal front springs (for A/C and incresed ride height)

Jussi was refering to these paint marks, not the Armstrong Shocks(which are also blue as you already know) :)

SUNP0003-1.jpg

As Wayne says I was refering those paint marks. Rear has green dots and front springs look like blue, not sure about that spot though.

Those Lotus-springs sounds very good, just hoping they are coming to market at reasonable prize :) .

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+