Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
how much DOES it cost to repair a gearbox if it pops? - 2-Eleven Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

how much DOES it cost to repair a gearbox if it pops?

As the title says.

The universally perceived wisdom is that this is the weak point on the car, so how much are you looking at if worst comes to worst?

nb I appreciate (a) that apparently Lotus will do you 275 bhp on the current box these days but won't warrant beyond 260 (b) that there are people out there who claim to have solved it © that other people have had lots of problems (d) that the sequential is a great albeit hugely expensive option.

However I don't have a feel for what sort of figures you have to budget for if you rule out the sequential, but want eg 280 bhp. NB I appreciate the potential logical problem with this question (in that if the gearbox does go under these circumstances then just plopping another one in is not a very sensible idea). But I don't even know how much it would cost to rebuild/replace a gearbox on a totally standard car either ...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If at all possible the Sadev sequential is the only sensible way forward when you want more power and proven reliability. We have one in our car and its so far brilliantly reliable, handling more power than your objective for long periods of time whilst running on slick tyres. Point being if it will take what we are doing to it, it will take normal track day use and tuning, no problemo. As for cost you can buy a nice Caterham Roadsport for what the complete instillation will set you back, but then the Caterham wont get near to the buzz and durability the box will achieve in a 2-Eleven with decent power.

Right so that rules that out!

At the other extreme, suppose it's a boggo car which "just" loses its gearbox and all you are doing is a replace/rebuild - how much is that? I'm guessing a few k?

And in the middle, how much is it to do whatever anybody does to strengthen it (eg uprate clutch)? I'm guessing another 1-2k on top of the above?

Depending on what car you go for the clutch might already be upgraded to a reasonable limit (more than the gearbox will take).

You can get the gearbox out without removing the engine (just) but it's pretty labour intensive.

Also the gearbox is well known for being a complete b'stard to repair with some people responding that even when taking car they end up breaking something connected with 6th gear.

In the US (not sure about UK) the policy was to not repair any gearboxes and simply fit a new unit.

Another option is a Quaife unit. I believe these guys have the european exclusive distribution deal for the kit.

http://www.lir-racing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75_420_481&products_id=574

From the vid it says limit is 30m/kg which I make to be 216 lb/ft.

Caracteristics:

- 6 speed sequential dog engagement gearkit

- Straight cut, close ratio gears

- Shorter final drive ratios

- Compact drum type sequential design for a faster gear shift

- Includes gear lever and cable

- Includes new strengthened outer casing and all sequential mechanism

- Digital gear position indicator included

- Quaife ATB differential included

Gear MPH KPH

1st 43,41 70,34

2nd 62,17 100,07

3rd 81,60 131,34

4th 102,22 164,54

5th 122,40 197,01

6th 146,24 235,39

The cost? 6.1k euros + 500eur for the shifter.

SADEV and Quaife aren't the same products.

SADEV is specialy done for the SC 2ZZ spécifications and Quaife is an adaptation.

When the gearbox is broken (like mine !), you have 4 solutions :

- low mileage gearbox : 800-1400 € + fitting : quick "easy" but you have to trust the seller.

- new gearbox : look at http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_179&products_id=850

- rebuilt with OEM parts : 1500-2500 € it depends of what is broken inside : be carefull if you do a cheap rebuild, it will broke again 1000 miles after

- rebuild with stronger parts : http://www.jubu-racing.at/de/lotus/?tar=%2Fmain%2Fmain_left&loc=cmVzb3VyY2U9W2lkPTddLg%3D%3D : some people have done it but it's too early to know if it's really stronger

From what I can tell, the jubu gears are fine... But it simply exposes other weaknesses in the gearbox. Instead of the gears failing the internal locking mechanism then breaks.

The c60/64 really is at it's limit with a 211 sc and I don't think there's a huge amount you can do about it without looking at other boxes.

I'm surprised the only streetable option currently available is the mr2 e153 unit which is hardly a drop in fit.

There's nothing wrong with the bell housing of the standard box so I wonder how easy it would be to fit a different mechanism with say 5 speeds with chunkier gears and shafts.

LIR Racing is still in the fine tuning stage.

I met them at MAGNY COURS

Nice people.

The are still working on the electronic.(Blip)

The car was really great and fast.

2 weeks later they got a problem durin a track day but i think it is "admissible " at this stage...

Wait an see :dizzy:

Tam