Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Loss of Power - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Loss of Power

avninja

Hey folks, have a 2002 V8. Things have been going well for a not quite a year yet, but I've developed a problem.

The car isn't making full power and it is hesitating and stumbing.

This can occur in any gear really. And in second gear it was hitting around 4500 rpm and it was like hitting the rev limiter. On off on off on off.

same thing at 5500 rpm in 5th gear. Although I can't reliably tell you that it would do it exactly at these rpms in those gears every time.

I gave the car a look over, don't see any loose wires, disconnected hoses anywhere.

I gave it some fresh gas and reset the ecu by removing the battery for 30 min.

I was hoping this was another simple electrical issue.

The only thing I can think of is that I has washed my car a week or so before and this time put some armor all on the engine and may have rinsed it off with the hose. This leaves me to think I may have gotten water in somewhere I shouldn't have

The only other thing I can think of the the car is reading a perpetual P0128 coolant temp below thermostat regulated level that won't erase with my hand scan tool.

I looked on the cd rom and I didn't even see that code listed!

Any thoughts before I pay through the nose at the a service shop or dealer?

Thanks

Andrew

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try taking out the sparkplugs, i had a misfire and it was water in the sparkplug tubes causing a short. take of the plug covers and pull off the leads , see if their all wet.

could be coil packs? or a bad earth?

Did this problem start when the error code came up? What does the temp gauge read?

cheers Andy

Try taking out the sparkplugs, i had a misfire and it was water in the sparkplug tubes causing a short. take of the plug covers and pull off the leads , see if their all wet.  Did this problem start when the error code came up? What does the temp gauge read?

Will check that right away

Coil etc Dunno.

Edited by avninja

The car is definetly missing. I can hit a fictious rev limiter like wall at various rpms but 4500 - 5500 usually. Lots of power loss.

pulled the pplug wires, no water to speak of. May be I'll pull the plug also?

I looked at the coil area, but didn't see any water there either. Any ideas?

I can pull the wires to the coils, they seem to be hidden under the plenum

thanks

Andrew

Hi there folks. I removed the plugs and found that the plug wires did show evidence of previous moisture I believe. There was some chalky white material on the boot and the orange-white crud on the ceramic portion of the plug. Some black debris on the plug's boot connection area.

Here are pictures of the plugs and wire.

Looks like someone coated the plug threads with a little oil

So I am guessing I need new wires and plugs?

I wonder if the coils could get corroded?

I made an attempt at cleaning the plug end of the cables with a wire brush and conductive gel. Feels like there is a little more power in the early rpms, but still hits this stumbling around 5500 rpm.

Do you have to remove the plenum to replace the wires?

Arg. That looks like it would take gaskets. I wonder how long that would take.

Thanks

Andrew

post-689-1142398523.jpg

post-689-1142398535.jpg

Ok

Now I am told by JAE to consider checking out the coils, by removing them and cleaning the surface between the engine and coils, coating them with a light dielectric grease and reinstalling. Could be a bad ground there.

Then new wires and new plugs.

Will give this a go

Andrew

Gotta take off the darned plenum though.

I wonder if there is anything else I should do now that the plenum is coming off...

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the wires, plugs and cleaned the contact points where the coils mount. There was a little corrosion but not much.

Still having the same problem.

Anyone know a good chicgo area lotus mechanic?

Or have any other ideas? Check the grounds etc?

thanks

Andrew