Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fuel Map - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fuel Map

Wanted to get some thoughts from you guys. I bought this 1990SE a year & a half ago. When I got the car, the battery would not stay charged. I am going to get a new battery this weekend, but that leads me to my thoughts I wanted to bounce off you guys.

The car runs really rich, and wants to fall on its face when you first hit the gas. I have been through everything I can think of on the car. I wont get into all the details, but thorough checks I have run & verified are in good working order are as follows, and not limited to: Plugs, Wires, MAP Sensor, Baro, Coils, TPS, Fuel Pressure, Fule Filter, Injectors, Fuel Rail, Vacuum Lines, O2 Sensor etc).

I am wondering if maybe the fuel map just isnt getting set properly. The battery dies every 2-3 days, and each time I work on the car I am recharging a dead battery. I have never just taken the car on the road (since the bumber was needing replaced), and just driven it like a daily driver. The car was in a wreck, so I am assuming it was running good when it hit whatever it was that messed the front end, but now I am getting the front clip back on this weekend, and installing a new Red Top Optima Batttery in the car & just "drive it"..

Just some advanced feedback on this?... Could a default fuel map cause a rich running problem & stumbling/hesitation when accelerating the engine from idle circuit?

Should have it on the raod in a few days...

thanks... Chris

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

Is it a stock chip in the ECM?

Are you using an OEM Lotus O2 sensor?

The dead battery probably isn't the root of your problem but it doesn't help either with making the ECM relearn every time you start it. It's also very taxing on the charging system which could create problems with the ECM as well.

Do you have access to a known working ECM you can try once you get the new battery?

Cheers,

Jim

1995 S4s

Hey Jim!!.. How are you?!.. You are thinking "god, he is STILL fighting this Gremlin!?" haha

It is a stock ECM with a stock chip. It does not appear to have the factory seal broken on the unit.

No, the O2 Sensor is not a "Stock Lotus" O2 Sensor,,, It is a Bosch unit that was recommended off of the X-Refrence list from the Esprit Fact File (I THINK the Part Number was: 0 258 003 022...It is a 4 wire sensor.. I cant find the number on the sensor, and the box is long gone), The orginal O2 Sensor was suspect, but wasnt sure. this was one of three parts I "Threw at the problem" to see if I might have gotten lucky (The other was the TPS, and a set of coils).. I did not get any changes in the cars running condition when installing the new O2 Sensor.

I do not have access to an ECM with a stock Lotus chip installed (I own the only one in town that I am aware of), but I could pick one up from eBay that is the direct replacement for the Pontiac Gran Prix 2.3L unit (other than the chip, I am understanding they are the same?)

Chris

P.S. Just rolled the car off the trailer and the paint looks GOOD!... Cant wait to get it together!

"Hey Jim!!.. How are you?!.. You are thinking "god, he is STILL fighting this Gremlin!?" haha"

You're right, that's exactly what I was thinking.... :rolleyes:

As much as it hurts to throw money at it, I think I'd have to get a Lotus O2 sensor. There have just been too many horror stories regarding aftermarket ones not working properly.

Get the new battery in and drive it a few miles and let us know what happens.

1995 S4s

... the car runs really rich, and wants to fall on its face when you first hit the gas. I have been through everything I can think of on the car. I wont get into all the details ...

Hi Chris,

Does it also have the fans (behind the radiator) running right from startup, when you turn the ignition and the engine on ?

If so, then your engine/ECU is in limp mode ... it will run way too rich and will like to stall whenever you hit the gas pedal ... and of course, it runs very poor in limp mode ... :rolleyes:

Sabine

Edited by Sabine