Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Radiator fans - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Radiator fans

GOHER007

You are welcome Fred

I checked out the fans you ordered. they are the real deal from sj. my shipping costs add up. so its expensive for my to source bulky stuff from europe. but got to keep the car alive

Good luck. an esprit only suits the desires of very few

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goher,

Ok i understand. I can't wait to get my fans fixed. Saw your fan fail light question now, first :). This is what i can come up with right now. Anyone else more experienced.. have an idea of this electric problem?

1. Clean all possible grounds and contacts with electric spray.

2. Change all fuses

3. Change the otterswitch and clip & rubber.

4. Change the the rad fan relay and contacts

The Esprit are for just a few :)

Fred

Yes the fans are doing ok, iwill follow your instructions, to eliminate the fan light. I must admit, that the present fans are just about sufficient for cooling, if not less( but i am subdued by thier availability and thier cost). But no doubt my next twin S3 will be a magniefied dream out of MATCHBOX, just like Freds

Trolleyes.gifhere are only a few Esprits left Thanks we all will meet again

Goher,

Ok, where did you buy the China made universal fans/motoresembly ones from?. Do you have two motors/fans for the radiator and one for the ac?. I have two fans for the radiator and one for the ac. The tech will also fill the ac at the same time and told me today that my ac only needs a refill with new L134, so no leaks etc ..good for a 26 y-old esprit :)

Fred

Edited by Esprit_Emperor

Yes i had the rad recored, and now all three fans are on direct, on all the time, for a good 45 to an hour run on the motorway, with (even small racing spells with Reds, the yellows, and the porsches), and the Ac does not work, it can get humid and hot here, in the afternoon when the autobhan is empty.

I will learn from your experience if ac will enhance or decrease the potential of the machine.

I Know 007 will not have it without ac. The racing spell. igot the chinese fans from ebay, a triplet regards goher

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Friends,

My father and I recently upgraded our cooling system for our 1979 S2. We took out the old Radiator and replaced it with an lightweight aluminum one that has three beefy fans that spin faster than the earth. This came with hardship though. The otter switch worked perfectly...right when the car hit 70 or so degrees WHOOSH! you can hear these bad boys swirling like the dickens...but this overloaded the relay (located behind the driverside (american driving side) headlamp). This is a fused relay. Get this, the fuse never popped, to GLOWED orange and MELTED the relay plastic cover. I have worked on many autos, but this is silly...I could not believe it. The fuse never blew!!!! So, my father and I got it up on a lift and redid the wiring. one fan operated like normal, and two fans we put on a switch that we fused. This works perfectly. The one fan actually keeps the Lotus cool enough in most cases...and when it get too hot, you simply throw the switch and watch the temperature fall 30 degrees!!

here is where we got the radiators:

http://www.wizardcooling.com/

You can thank me and my father, we were the first ESPRIT customer for this company so they now have the templates to make your radiator in a fraction of the time.

Happy motoring.

-Anthony.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Got a call from my tech yesterday telling me that the brand new SJ Sportscars "yellow" radfan and motorassembly was mounted and working good. In short pictures will be up and a report about if i notice engine heat, sound difference etc. I'll be back.

Fred

Hello,

The two Sj radfan & motorassemblys are mounted but the fandblade for the AC has different size so the original fan and motor is still on but i'll start look and try to find a new blade since the motor fits. Anyway, this upgrade makes great noticeble difference in degrees and sound and was not that expensive at all. I'm sure that one fan will keep the engine under 90 celsius under normal conditions. A photo below on the old and the new fan. I can really recomend this upgrade instead of keeping the old Ford/Lucas fans.

Fred

post-6575-097667200 1286828706.jpg

• 7 months later...

Buddsy No problem jacking. This thread should have had more responces since its a very important part for this car. I would like to know if anyone else has made upgrades for the two rad system to get it work better?

The tripac fans looks good and should do the work very well but the two rad cooling system needs a bit attention to work in heavy traffic.

The two fans are ok but three better. I took a photo today which shows the sj sportscars radfins and motor. The AC motor is also Sj Sportscars but modified a bit and im using the old fan blade. I drove the esprit yesterday on the highway and in heavy traffic with 25-26 C outside and no problem at all with the old radiator.

This is what i have done so far with the rad system without removing the old rad.

1. New motors and fan blades and contacts.

2. New fan relay and contacts.

3. New fuses and contacts for the fusebox.

4. Cleaned the rad inside with bars nural and bars nural stop leaks.

5. Cleaned the rad on the outside and changed all foam around the rad.

6. I added Water Wetter in the 50/50 mix of blue ethylen glycol. Just for fun i added Water Wetter. dont know if it works but why not.

7. New otterswitch and contacts.

//Fred

post-6575-0-42600700-1307298757_thumb.jp