Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Who sells exhaust systems for Esprit S1? - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Who sells exhaust systems for Esprit S1?

Hello all, it's been while since I visited this board. Lots of other projects distracting me I guess.

My question: who sells complete systems (incl. manifold) for the S1 Esprit? Preferrably stainless.

Thanks in advance

Dennis

Edited by ElEsprito

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should also speak to Mike at Lotusbits - he provided me with a 4-2-1 full ss system and it made quite a difference to my S3. I don't think the SJ 4-1 (with un-equal lengths, apparently) is meant to be that great... Don't know how/if it would fit on an S1 though. And it wasn’t cheap…

Scott

link added - http://www.lotusbits.com/upgrades_exhausts.html

Edited by scottmgibb

I used to have a tubular manifold for my S1 a good few years back. It was made by a guy called “Mike the Pipe”… long gone now I think.

I gave what was left of the manifold to Steve at SJ and he got someone to make up a match to my original.

It didn’t fit first time so we had to do a few cut and shuts on it until it was ok.

Its pretty close to the chassis legs but it does fit.

The current ones he sells will be based on the template he got from my car so there shouldn’t be a problem with fitting it on an S1 but Steve will put you right on that.

i dont think the sj exhausts have the flanges made of stainless as the one on the back box of my s4 i very rusty and soon to be replaced, may be worthwhile having it made more local as if you get something and have problems it can be a real headache

It's Oogies turn to boogie

As I previously mentioned in another thread Dave Bean used to make complete SS exhaust systems featuring 4-2-1 headers. I bought one for my S2 Esprit and I'm still a very satisfied customer after over 20 years. Too bad they don't make them anymore. Paid about $600 way back then and a wise investment considering today's cost for similar systems. It is SO much better than the stock system (lightness, performance and longevity) thumbup.gif

Here is what the 1200 one looks like - beautiful!:

49248321.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The end of the pipe goes into a straight-through silencer behind the gearbox and out a single pipe at the end. At 2 1/2" it is a bit noisier than standard, but sounds great.

With regard to which system to go for I guess you have to ask yourself what you want from the engine - I wanted to eventually get 200+ bhp with a useable torque spread from my unit, and as such it was critical to get the best possible flow of air through the engine. The exhaust from Lotusbits achieves this, but at a cost. If you just want a simple way of replacing the existing manifold, and outright performance is not a concern, then the cost is probably going to be the deciding factor.

Scott

Hey guys, I need to decide on which system I'm going to use. Not especially focused on getting the engine to a high state of tune, would the 1200 GBP option be worth it? Will the exhaust system by itself have a significant advantage over the less expensive option, or would it only pay off when combined with other tuning mods?

Does anyone have a sound clip of either exhaust? To me, the sound is almost more important than the actual performance increase.

Thanks!

Dennis

Many, many years ago I taped a lapel mike to the rear bumper and made a run, but the sound recording I got was hilarious. The mike was totally overloaded and sounded like a can-am car. w00t.gif I never did make a recording from within the car or have someone tape it as I drove past. -Sorry. All I can say it the original system was too much like any 2.0 liter passenger car until very high revs (Ford Pinto comes to mind). The current 4-2-1 into SS muffler sounds like a sports car should throughout the rev range. I'll have to see if I can find that old sound clip I made for laughs sometime.

I do not have a recording of the lotusbits system unfortunatly, and the car/engine is not running just now, but it did sound great :). It had a nice growl at idle, opening up to a lovely wail at higher RPM. My new car has a 4-1 ss system (though not the SJ one) and the even induction noise seems louder than the exhaust! At idle it sounds very 'normal'. I will be changing them over at some point!

Scott

Ah well, that settles it then in favour of the 4-2-1 system. Can't deal with a car that looks faster than it is AND sounds. I will ask Lotusbits if I can fit this without mods.

Keep you posted!

I found that sound byte of my 4-3-1 SS exhaust.. Apologies in advance, but it lost a lot of the volume as I had to use my mp3 recorder held up to a a speaker (source was a video) and the level was wrong. If you turn up the volume a lot you'll get the idea (and by no means is the exhaust that loud) Good for laughs though. rofl.gif

Edited by comem47

That exhaust from lotusbits just looks the bollox...

It's good enough to wear on your wall..

Wish there was one as pretty that worked for the S3T...

Do lotusbits to a full turbo manifold back system? Maybe me needs to check as the one from SJ is just a replacement and not a performance upgrade one.

Chunky Lover