Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Removing cam covers - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Removing cam covers

Rich H

Hey all,

Another quick question: Trivia in the scheme of things but good to get little jobs done when waiting for big jobs!

My cam covers were painted crackle red but it's all manky and flaking off, chargecooler cleaned up OK with soapy water and a stiff brush but the rest is beyond saving.

Can I just undo the 3 bolts on each and remove them so I can clean and repaint them?

Will the gaskets survive or will I definately need replacements? They aren't leaking at the moment.

The top of the engine is filthy so I plan on removing stuff to clean it all out too and loose the throttle jack mech and EBPV (I'll lock it open)

Crackle red is on order.

Thanks

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool thanks, they are only £5 a pop apparently,

Cheers

Rich

Which red crinkle paint are you intending to use?

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

VHT paint, good for 300*C apparently. Used it before on the Porsche cam cover.

Lay it on thin as a base coat and let it dry for a few hours, then lay it on really thick and give it a blast of hair drier (Don't get caught!) and it crinkles up really well.

Then (The bit I didn't do!) Let it dry for AGES. Ont he Porsche the airbox has a couple of rubber straps and despite drying overnight the straps pulled the wrinkles! It looks very odd now...

Plan is to do all that and let it all dry for a week then get the sander out and whizz the top off so LOTUS stands out like it used to. Not sure about sealing it all after though, will ened some high temp laquer if I do.